General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Alternator rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, after I had the shop replace my alternator which was really loud my Alternator light came on just before my Airbag Fault light, so they ran a test on the alternator, the computer type one and it failed so they replaced it again, the next day the alternator light came on just like before so i took it back, they checked it with the computer and it failed but it passed using the older analog type checking machine.

I still get the alternator light fault 1 out of 3 times or 1 out of 2 times but my battery is charging and no other problems, they said that the alternator light fault might go away after sometime, but so far it still comes on.

I still have the Airbag fault with the blinking srs red light, but no audible alarm.

But if I press ones on the odometer trip meter it takes away the airbag fault warning and I never see the alternator light warning, I would really like to know why it shows the alternator fault and the airbag fault but I am just living with it and pushing the trip meter after it starts up and go on with life. I do love my Rover.

But now I have to research front and rear pads and rotors, anyone have a good place online to shop? Brands or anything would be great.

Thanks.
Gary

Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ldivine, thanks a lot for your response on the Airbag connector location and the photo of the underside of the seat. I'll try to find mine this weekend.

ggothlin, I have exactly the same Airbag Fault, SRS and Alternator Fault messages (with the frequency on the Alternator Fault message being once in three or four starts). No problems starting and the battery seems to charge fine. I recently bought the 1997 RR 4.6 HSE with 106,000 miles and the mechanic told me the alternator is relatively new. He's going to hook it up to a diagnostic tool this week. I'll let you know if I'm able to resolve the warning lights.

Meanwhile, if anyone else knows what the Airbag/SRS and Alternator fault messages might relate to, please let us know.

Thanks all.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary,

For pads I would recommend EBC Greenstuff. Pepboys carries them and they work fantastic on Rovers. I haven't replaced rotors yet but you might try some of the Rover parts websites for rotors. Roversnorth and Atlanticbritish are are very well respected and two i've never had trouble with.

As for the SRS and Alternator problem, my first guess would be they aren't related but, since electrics are finicky on Rovers, who knows. This might be of use since you have pre-99 models--- http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/vie...harness#p71499

Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The SRS and alternator are most likely related, if you have been having low voltage issues, this will trip a low voltage fault thru the SRS, better get the codes read with a better scanner that can read the SRS.