General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 2000 p38 has not air at all (hot or cold)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM
fem
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2000 p38 has not air at all (hot or cold)

Hi all,

I recently got myself a p38 (2000 SE, 150K miles) and I am currently in the process of fixing various issues here and there.

One problem I haven’t gotten into yet is the heating/cooling system. I have no air at all (hot or cold). The HEVAC instrument panel works fine (control-wise), shows me the correct inside/outside temperature, all buttons and controllers work, but of course there is the little book! showing up.

The only thing I have done related to this issue is changing the pollen filters. I am not sure anyone ever changed those (at least not at frequent intervals), as they looked pretty filthy. Inside the pollen compartments, I cleaned up lots of debris (mainly tree leaves!). I also used a clothes hanger to feel the blades of the blower motors, and both appear to spin without effort (not seized). But they do not spin by themselves when the engine is running. Pressing the AC button on the HEVAC engages the AC compressor normally (though I am almost certain this would not be the problem, since as I said I have no air at all).

I’ve been doing some research online and found several relevant problems but not exactly the same. I came across several possible factors that could be responsible (ranging form very simple as clogged pipes and burnt fuses/relays, and going all the way to blend motors and Becm). I would really appreciate getting some feedback on the way I should go about troubleshooting this. I am particularly puzzled with the order of things. For instance, I do not want to blindly get into changing the blend motors without looking into the easier possible causes first.

I do not mind the work (I have already replaced both front window regulators, and took out and put back nearly everything that is in the cargo space and upper/lower tailgates) but I would like to avoid unnecessary tasks. Right now I have all the center console panels taken out (from the top center switches down to the cubby box; I only have the radio, HEVAC and the gear shifter without any surround trims), so I thought this might the best time to tackle the heating/cooling system (e.g. in case I need to change the blend motors).

Any feedback will be much appreciated! Many thanks!