General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new '90 RR Classic County

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new '90 RR Classic County

I just bought my first Range Rover and drove it home 3 1/2 hours no problem. Light blue in color with a brush gard and roof rack. 3.9L engine V8 but I'm sure y'all know all the specs. I am in South Carolina and the rover does not seem to have much if any rust. Paid 1800 but it has 239k. It's not perfect but so far it drives great.

My new Range Rover!

I have a couple of questions though to see if anyone has any idea what these problems are. When I accelerate quickly and it seems turn to the left while accelerating I hear a high pitched squeal. At first I thought it was the tires losing traction but I do not think that is it. It does not sound like a belt to me but I certainly could be wrong. I havent noticed the sound when accelerating straight or right... only left so far but I might have missed it other times.

My second concern is a low pitched humming sound I hear when driving about 35. As long as I stay at this speed I hear it but faster or slower I do not. I think the guy I bought it from mentioned this humming and said someone told him it was the lubricant he used on the differential? Not positive where they said it was but they told him that a thicker lubricant would solve this problem. Any thoughts?

Other than that the ac does not blow cold, but the compressor seems to be running. It only blows on the highest speed though. Not too big of a deal.

So far I love my new rangie and I would love any information on how to keep it in tune and running smooth. Any other good sites around that tell how to maintain a rover? Any good books or cdroms? Thanks for taking your time to read and I appreciate any response!

Old 08-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: My new '90 RR Classic County

quick things to check for and it may be the same source for the problems you listed. the steering gear box, all drive line connections, and the brakes, and front end alignment. just some things of the top of my head. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 09-29-2005, 10:26 AM
7th Gear
Default RE: My new '90 RR Classic County

Check the oil in your swivel pin housings. My '89 had the same high pitch squeal and pull to the right and the right swivel pin housing was dry and the squeal was the wheel bearings getting smoked. I found inexpensive bearings through Timken if that's your problem.