General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

Hello, this is my first post here so I apologize if it isn't in the best section. First off, I'd like to state that I'm 16 years old, and I'm interested in getting an 03/04 Range Rover. There are a few complications though. My dad is going to be the one paying for the car, and he wants to get a Toyota Tundra, Sequoia, or 4Runner. Originally, he wanted to get an 05 Tacoma, and I was really excited. He is now leaning towards the 4Runner because it's shorter. I didn't really want an SUV, but then I thought, what about a Range Rover? I've always loved Range Rovers since I was in elementary school. The price of the 4Runner and Range Rover is almost identical. After test driving various Toyotas, I wasn't too impressed. I felt very cramped, they had poor handling, acceleration, and ride. I also am not a fan of the appearance, in and out. At one of the dealerships there was a 2003 Black Range Rover (My dream), so I test drove it. I was instantly in love. The handling was divine, it had power, and the interior and exterior was, well, a Range Rover. Comfortable leather seats, plenty of space, and much more. It would only cost around $14,000. However, my dad constantly refuses because he states the reliability is horrid. Obviously I know that Toyota is pretty much the king of reliability, but a Range Rover can't be THAT bad. With the exception of reliability, the car is perfect. I really want to get one, so please help me out. I'm looking for some suggestions or information that would help persuade his opinion.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a good job and a good tool box and know how to use the tool box?
You will need a good job to pay for the proper upkeep on the Rover leaking front struts cost about 550.00 each if you swap them out rear shoz are 260.00 each, radiators are 300.00 oil changes are about 70.00, intake refresh about 375.00 including the powder coating the cam covers , other than that make sure you have a windshield clause on your insurance.
new tires are about 1200.00 need 4 at a time that match plus a spare.
Alternator is about 375.00 battery about 145.00
Rebuilt trans and Torque Converter about 3500.00

Honestly, for you the Toyota would probably be a better choice due to the big cost of repairs on the Rover

Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin
do you have a good job and a good tool box and know how to use the tool box?
You will need a good job to pay for the proper upkeep on the Rover leaking front struts cost about 550.00 each if you swap them out rear shoz are 260.00 each, radiators are 300.00 oil changes are about 70.00, intake refresh about 375.00 including the powder coating the cam covers , other than that make sure you have a windshield clause on your insurance.
new tires are about 1200.00 need 4 at a time that match plus a spare.
Alternator is about 375.00 battery about 145.00
Rebuilt trans and Torque Converter about 3500.00

Honestly, for you the Toyota would probably be a better choice due to the big cost of repairs on the Rover
Those prices are actually pretty reasonable compared to what I've heard. My mom has had 2 BMW's so high costs aren't anything new. I have 3 jobs by the way. I build computers for businesses and consumers/gamers. I run a gaming website where people can buy credits to advance them in a game. I run advertisements on my websites and YouTube channel where I have software and hardware tutorials. I also offer tech help on an hourly rate. For a kid I make decent money, anywhere from $250-$1000/month. I'll also be applying for a job at my local clothing store.The reliability is a bigger issue than the cost of repairs. Thanks for the input though. Are they hard to work on? My mom's BMW was impossible to work on.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the TOYOTA!
2001 P38
1. Car $6,000.00 14600 miles
2. Starter $350.00
3. Major service due to leak in Radiator $3,500.00
4. Blown hater hose $50.00
5. Bad water pump due to ? $475.00
6. Blown Motor due to water pump, heater hose Etc. $4,500.00
Now all I need is the headliner and 4 tires and I am good for another MONTH.
Range Rover is a B.O.A.T Bring Over Another Thousand.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by georgep
Get the TOYOTA!
2001 P38
1. Car $6,000.00 14600 miles
2. Starter $350.00
3. Major service due to leak in Radiator $3,500.00
4. Blown hater hose $50.00
5. Bad water pump due to ? $475.00
6. Blown Motor due to water pump, heater hose Etc. $4,500.00
Now all I need is the headliner and 4 tires and I am good for another MONTH.
Range Rover is a B.O.A.T Bring Over Another Thousand.
I'd heard that from 2002 to 2003, there was substantial increase in reliability.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 AM
8th Gear

Any more feedback?

Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The words "reliability" and "Rover" are mutually exclusive terms....

What others may not have mentioned is just how much time DIY service will require, which cuts into your other ROI (redneck opportunities of income). You can fix anything, given time, treasure, and a place to work. Also, you can use a site like www.statewidelist.com, indexes craigslist and output all Rovers in your state and price range by meto area, so you can see what is out there.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The words "reliability" and "Rover" are mutually exclusive terms....

What others may not have mentioned is just how much time DIY service will require, which cuts into your other ROI (redneck opportunities of income). You can fix anything, given time, treasure, and a place to work. Also, you can use a site like www.statewidelist.com, indexes craigslist and output all Rovers in your state and price range by meto area, so you can see what is out there.
For a 2003 Range Rover with 100k miles, what would regularly need to be replaced or fixed?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Fluids, tires, water pump, thermostat, radiator flush. Fan clutch, transmission fluid and filters, and the 60k service list. If unlucky, head gaskets, oil pump. Main issue will be how well it was serviced until now. They are not cheap to keep.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Fluids, tires, water pump, thermostat, radiator flush. Fan clutch, transmission fluid and filters, and the 60k service list. If unlucky, head gaskets, oil pump. Main issue will be how well it was serviced until now. They are not cheap to keep.
If the car has been serviced regularly, how much would I be spending a year in maintenance?

Quick Reply: Need Help