General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie! looking to buy RR

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:25 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie! looking to buy RR

Just like to say good day all! New to your forum.
I was just looking for tips and help and the purchase of my 2003 RR. I have read some of the questions on hear but need moe help. The RR I'm looking at is an 2003, green, 135,000km on it. Seems to look like its in good shape, but I know with owning previous air ride vehicles, can ne trouble.
So I ask all you owners and experts what should I really be looking at instead of the nice interior?
How do you knowif the air ride is ok or not? how do you turn it on? I noticed it said when I started the vehicle up "air ride Inactive"???
So all the help and pointers would be great, please.
Cheers

Old 04-10-2010, 02:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, Welcome to the forum!

As you read these posts you will see there are many different things that you will encounter and that these trucks need TLC.

When I look into buying one of these or any preowned vehicle look immediately under the truck for oil leaks. Leaks are common in these trucks, but too much of a leak means there is work to be done. Also, look under the hood. All should be nice and dry. No moist spots. Test all the switches in the vehicle window motors, ac, lumbar bags, seat motors, all the features. This will allow you to bargain with the seller and bring down the price if you find things wrong.

Know your prices on how much things are to fix so that you can haggle more effectively. Hopefully you find a rover with its records in tact, but many do not have records so its all on the previous owners word. The EAS feature is one of the most expensive items on the truck it breaks down frequently on the RR, but the LR is another story. Not sure what year Land Rover started putting EAS in their Discovery, but if you are looking at one that has the feature check under at each rubber bag above the bump stops and see the condition. It should be nice and soft like a new rubber band as opposed to a rubber band that has sat in the sun and is starting to crack and become brittle. Have your mechanic check everything for you and walk away if the owner refuses to have a professional inspect it.

Hope this helps somewhat. All the best and once again welcome to the forum!
RROJ

Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read up: http://rangerovers.net/rrmkiiiremedies.html
You need to look into the service records, that will tell you a lot about the car. I can make a crappy interior look good, its not that hard . Check all of the fluids, especially their condition, and make sure the transmission has been serviced (they say its serviced for life, but that is a bunch of crap). The L322 isn't prone to leaking as much as the P38, but they do from time to time. Mine leaks all the time, drives me crazy, but I got used to it. The 03 RRs are a bit more reliable than the P38, but are definitely harder to work on and much more complex. Most of the time a normal mechanic can work on a P38 range rover, but when you show them the L322, they tend to shoe them away. The electrics on the L322 are "quirky" so if you notice some weird behavior that corrects itself, welcome to Land Rover lol. I would advise you to take it on a long test drive and go through everything. I took mine on a 2.5 test drive alone lol.

Last edited by LRScott; 04-10-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Default L322 vs. P38

LRScott can you tell me the difference between the two. I thought the P38 style was the model that just ended in 2002 and started in 1995. The L322 is the new body style? I should know this but need clarification.
Thanks in advance!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The L322 (Mark III) is the current body style from 03 to MY. There are differences between the years though. In 05 they got the new navigation system and in 06 they gave it a face lift and added the new Jaguar AJV8. In 07 they updated the interior look, and recently in 2010 they gave it a more substantial face lift along with another new jag engine, but kept the same relative body style. There are plans to completely redesign it from what I understand. I just hope and pray it doesn't look hideous. Based on Tata's track record with screwing up the look of the XJ Jaguar, I fear the worst (I'm sorry but a Jaguar was never intended to look like an Aston Martin! Maybe its because they hired a previous designer from Aston Martin to redo the XJ...)

Last edited by LRScott; 04-10-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling

OK now I understand completely. Thank you for your explanation. This means I'm looking for a "P38" truck from 2002. I'm not worried. Someday I will find one!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you will RROJ. I found mine about a month and a half ago, had to drive all the way to Ohio to get her, but she only has 52k, and runs perfectly.

LR03, I am not a fan of buying the first model year of a new model which is what an 03 is. Honestly I would look for a 04 or 05 if possible. 03-05 used a BMW engine, and 06-current a Jag engine. Anyways like others have said take it for a long test drive, test everything you can think of, and perhaps pay a dealer to do a full inspection for you it is well worth it.