General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil burn

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:28 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil burn

We have a 2005 RR with 15,000miles on it. The engine oil light went on at 11,000 miles and the engine oil was 4quarts low. apparently the dealer looked for a source of leakage and none was found. at the 15,000 mile service the oil was down one and a half quarts. this seems like excessive oil loss. we had an 2001 bmw x5 with the same 4.4 liter V8 and had no such oil burning. Is there a problem with our vehicle? any help would be appreciated Mark

Old 08-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: oil burn

Wow. That might be normal for a Porsche, but not a RR. I have an '05 RR with no oil burn. What did the dealer say? That sounds pretty ominous, with long term consequences. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:01 PM
4wd High

the dealer in Jacksonville hemmed and hawed and said that ws not excessive oil burn for this extreme climate. he has other RRs that burn more oil than that. we had our 2001 BMW 4.4 (same motor) in the same climate with no oil burn. I have sent an email to Land Rover with no reply yet. thanks for your experience and concern. I will post more if there is any

Old 08-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Rock Crawling

there is a problem. have the dealer do a wet and dry compression try, that should let you know if you have a bad valve or ring. I average less than 1/2 quart every 3k. From what i know that is about normal. I have a 96 4.0 discovery. i have 130k on it. I would recomend that you push the dealer to find out exactly what the problem is. You can also go to the land rover n.a. web and find out what might help you to get the rover to get the problem fixed. It sounds like something major in the engine. I lived in fl. and it is not the climate. mine has seen much worse than that. the dealer may be trying to avoid replacing the engine. If you dealer with the dealer speak either the dealer manager or owner of the dealership. best I can do for you. hope it helps. duboff.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Drifting

Definitely a bad problem. If the dealer is telling you the problem is normal based on the weather in FL, they should be put out of business and if they told you that they've seen other Rovers that burn more than that, then they are definitely blowing off oil leak/consumption problems that could be fatal to the engines of their customers. I'd contact the BBB about these people for sure. That is severe oil loss/consumption for any vehicle, especially for a brand new one like yours. If you've lost 4 quarts between 1 oil change or even a few quarts for a 2005, you've got major engine problems. I like duboffs recomendation of contacting LR North America. Call them ...don't e-mail them. You need answers fast before too much damage is done. This might be considered a big fat juicy lemon ....check out your lemon laws in FL. How about trying another LR dealer? You paid a heck of a lot of money for that truck I'm sure ...you should get what you paid for which is a truck that doesn't leak or burn that much oil. My 98 HSE consumes maybe 1 quart every 3K but it has 101K on the odometer and I know it leaks a small bit. That is normal for the age and mileage of my truck. Anything more than that and I would be concerned. Good luck and keep us up-to-date on this topic.

Steve

Old 08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
4wd High

thankyou all for your responses. we sent an email to LR of Norht America and followed up with a phone call including the thorough details. they will respond within 2 business days. unfortunately the next closest dealer is 2 hours away but worth considering if no satisfaction obtained from our local dealer.