General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling engine,have questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling engine,have questions

ON MY SON'S 93 RR WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF PULLING THE ENGINE. I HAVE PULLED A LOT OF ENGINES IN MY LIFE BUT NEVER FROM A RR. WE HAVE UNHOOKED WHAT WE THINK IS EVERTHING . WE HAVE ENGINE MOUNTS CLEAR OF THEIR POINTS BUT THE SEPERATION OF ENG BLOCK AND TRANS HASN'T BEEN ACHIEVED. NOW,WHAT'D BE POSSIBLE REASONS? ARE THERE BELLHOUSING BLTS I'M NOT SEEING/OR KNOW OF,I HAVE REMOVED ALL TORQUE CONV. /FLEXPLATE BOLTS EXCEPT THE ONE THAT WAS SMALLER THAN ALL THE REST,DIDN'T KNOW IF IT WAS NEEDED. NEED SOME IMPUT FROM SOME ONE WHO HAS BEEN HERE AND DONE THIS...

Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: pulling engine,have questions

There are 8 bolts connecting the engine and bellhousing...did you get them all? The upper ones are a real PITA to get to. I've done it with a bizzare combination of long extensions and flex joints and a bit of Braille to find them, but it's a bit easier to remove the upper intake and get the upper four bolts from above.

I'm told that it also helps to jack the engine up and remove the motor mounts completely and then lower it back down to gain the clearance from above. I haven't tried that yet but I have another engine swap looming in the next couple of months so I might try it then...

Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Drifting

we've removed intake,and i have'nt counted the bolts per your msg,but we got the 2 at top 2 upper driver side ,2 upper pass side and 1 lower on both sides . that is 8 .so i guess i have 8 out. how about torque converter bolts ? any advise there? it appears i have all out but there was one smaller one for some reason different from all the others. i studdied it and assume it holds something to flexplate/flywheel . Now assuming i have all bolts out ,and you have done this before,how hard should it be to seperate engine block from bellhousing?I know there are still the dowell pins on the engine block that help line up the mateing of the two. sometimes in my past working on chevys, etc a little challange may be ahead

Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM
4th Gear

There should be just the four tq. conv. bolts, all the same size and equally spaced. But even if you didn't take them out at all the engine should still separate from the bellhousing fairly easily. You can take the engine out with the tq. conv. still attached to the flexplate just like on American cars. But it's a tight fit getting it out of the engine compartment and can of course be messy when the fluid spills...

Offhand, I don't know what the smaller bolt you refer to could be but I don't seem to recall encountering anything like that on the two I've done in the last six months (RRC and DII.)

If you indeed have all eight bolts removed, then the diffculty you're encountering at this point is most likely from the guide pins, they can be a pretty tight fit.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Drifting

well ,we worked on my 2nd son girlfriend's 97 disco yesterday (01/01/2009) to get the year started off right. then we went back at the RR of my oldest son's. we removed the moror mounts and that did help with more room to move,but still no success with seperation of mtr and bellhousing. i did drive a long flat screwdriver between them from underneath on drivers side. I did get some gap showing,so i scotched it with a flat stubby screwdriver. I just called my son and asked him to spray WD40 on the seam between the two,and maybe it will loosen up those guide pins as well . let you know. Oh by the way there were about six or eight bolts in my torqconverter /flexplate. ?.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Drifting

well i finally gave in and crawled back under checked for a bolt that i might have missed ,and found it . we removed it and engine seperated as it should from tranny. thanks for your input

Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Drifting

after getting engine out away from trans i saw that the torque conv was coming . now i see the 4 bolts you ere talking about. 4 big ones. i was taking out flywhel bolts 10 of them. a waste of time. now with engine out on to the bigger problems .coolant in engine oil. we have drivers side head off and coolant was getting in #6 but also appears something metal was banging around also .small indentions in head and piston.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM
4wd Low

Sorry to hear about the engine, some what happened to me with my 98 RR 4.6 but i bought the vehicle with the blown motor and pulling motor apart #6 piston completely gone and few other pistons chipped and all sitting in the bottom of the oil pan haha and also the head had been smacked ruining that, plus the whole cylinder wall was gone so i had no choice but to find another motor and it wasn't cheap. But i had trouble removing the locked up motor b/c i couldn't turn it over to get to the torque convertor bolts so i thought pull it out with the engine but didn't work out so i have to drop the oil pan and start tearing apart the engine from under the car removing pistons till it turned over and its comes right out with those four torque convertor bolts off. Im only 17 and it took me a week to figure how to get the motor out but after i took a motor out of my Range Rover and the engine donor car and putting back in, i got alot of experience doing it and find them alot easier than any other engine swap i have done. Im just waiting for my exhaust gaskets to show up and get it going. Hope everything works out for you