General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase decision

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase decision

I am a long time DIY mechanically inclined guy with a lift in my garage that needs a reasonably nice 4WD SUV that has true LSD or locking diffs. I have spent the past 2 weeks looking at my options from my hospital bed and found that a late 90's through 2002 RR appears to offer exceptional value. My daily driver is a 1997 BMW 528i 5spd with 190k miles that I maintain myself with the amazing resources available to me through the forums.

I am contemplating buying a solid low mileage RR and doing the same thing. My question is what the availability of the LSD/locking diffs. are and how do I tell which vehicles have them. I am unable to drive the BMW due to the condition of my tibula in my left leg preventing me from operating a clutch, so the matter does have a bit of urgency, what with having to go back to work, ferry 3 kids to various activities, etc.

Any comments regarding what to look for and what to avoid would be greatly appreciated as well.

TIA

Geoff

Old 11-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I may be stepping on my toes, but as I know it, none of the P38's had the locking T230 t/case and I don't believe anything into the 02 range had it either.
Now you could install a T230 t/case in a P38 but that vehicle, although it was a great looking truck, had such terrible electrical and suspension issues, that I would suggest you stay away from it.
How about an 04 D2 that has all the bells and whistles?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I may be stepping on my toes, but as I know it, none of the P38's had the locking T230 t/case and I don't believe anything into the 02 range had it either.
Now you could install a T230 t/case in a P38 but that vehicle, although it was a great looking truck, had such terrible electrical and suspension issues, that I would suggest you stay away from it.
How about an 04 D2 that has all the bells and whistles?
So you are implying that the 2004 and newer D2s have the locking diffs and do not have the electrical gremlins that the older RRs do. This is excellent info and I willamend my search criteria accordingly. Thank you for your input, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Geoff

Old 11-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan on off-roading a lot, then a Disco II with a locking transfer case would be the way to go. The P38s do not have a locking transfer case as Mike stated. However, they do have a viscous clutch that limits differential slip. They usually call this feature "limited slip differential" on Jeeps. The air suspension is a very nice option, you might find many RRs that have already been neutered and do not have the feature anymore because it was causing the previous owners too much grief. Many owners on here have found ways around the faults and make do with the system because they like it so much. The immobilization system can be a pig depending on your location and what year you buy too.

Now, to directly compare the RR to the Disco II. I presently have a 03 Disco for the time being (maybe indefinitely) and noticed that the RR is more spacious, more comfortable, and rides a little better. There is also a lot more wood in the RRs, which I like too . Now to bash the RR, the Discovery has A LOT more cargo space, LOTS more. The RR's computerization makes it a little difficult for some to grasp, you will have some weird stupid things go out like the blend motors or the door actuators. However, I would not consider either one more reliable than the other. The reliability of the beasts depends on how well the previous owner maintained them. Both would make an excellent choice and IMO it really boils down to which one you like more. I love both rigs and when the time comes, it will be hard for me to part with one or the other. I would suggest going out and driving both and decide on which one you liked the most.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your looking for a good truck i would be looking at 03 and newer RR HSE, the BMW M62 engine is far superior to the rover engine,
keep the trans fluid changed every 60K miles and add front airbags as necessary and your good to go.
that said the 05 is the best of the BMW engined trucks as it also has the touchscreen nav system, also most of the bugs have been worked out.

As far as a locker it doesnt have one, it will go over just about anything though,
in supreme comfort due to the traction control, I consider the TC a form of cheating , as it reduces driver workload to simply pressing on the gas and steering.

Had more than a few drivers watching as we traversed Elephant hill in Canyonlands waiting for the Rover to get stuck when a front or rear wheel started spinning, the wheel would simply stop spinning and the truck would continue without any drama, The FJ80 drivers were working pretty hard to maneuver over the same surfaces.
I have owned an FJ40 crusier more than a few FJ60 wagons.
the RR is by far the best truck I have ever driven both on and off road

Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gnilson
So you are implying that the 2004 and newer D2s have the locking diffs and do not have the electrical gremlins that the older RRs do. This is excellent info and I willamend my search criteria accordingly. Thank you for your input, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Geoff
No, what I was referring to is the 04 D2 has a locking t/case, none of the Discos came with a locking front or rear diff. If needed though they are an easy install and make for an awsome rig.
If you are planning on a lot of wheeling, this would be my suggestion.