General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover 2003 ABS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Range Rover 2003 ABS Issue

Hi Folks,

My first post....

Let me start by saying that I purchased a 2003 Range Rover HSE (with the Options) about a month ago. Before purchasing, I spent some time researching, etc, and used this Forum for lots of great advice. Thanks all. I will make sure I make regular posts to try to help others.

For some reason, even after reading all the horror stories, I still decided to buy a Range Rover. The Carfax and other historical paperwork looked good. 104,000 miles.

I will probably be purchasing an extended warranty, I have narrowed it down to 2 companies, both recommended by www.rangerovers.net

Here's my first issue that I have with the vehicle - The ABS is 'over-active', i.e. as i slow down by applying the Brakes in normal conditions, at around 2 miles an hour, i.e. just before stopping, the right front ABS 'system' causes the ABS to cut in, thereby making a 'grinding' noise that is (probably) the Brake Pads making contact with the Rotors. Something to do with a 'speed sensor', I'm assuming.

I did some research on where in Madison, WI, I could take the vehicle to have repairs done (instead of the dealership, although we do have an authorized dealership in Madison), and I found several recommendations for a facility. The owner actually has a Range Rover, and has had several of them, and he also has the full diagnosis equipment, etc. I took the vehicle to him and paid him labor-time to completely check out the vehicle, and it was his diagnosis that the front-right ABS is "Over-Active". He knew exactly how to repair it, and said that the front axel will need to be worked on to fix it, total cost of $1,000 for labor and parts.

Question - Is it as simple as an ABS 'Sensor', 'speed sensor' (if there is such a thing) that needs to be replaced? Having scanned through some forums, and rangerovers.net, it appears the older Range Models had an actual Sensor that is farly easily accessible, attached to wheel hub, cost of around $40, that can be replaced by anybody with a small amount of mechanical skill (i.e. me!). However, I don't see any mention of teh newer Range Rover models having this 'sensor'. I also called a couple of Range Rover parts places, and they had no knowledge of such a part. Therefore something 'internal' needs replacing, inside hub or axel?

I will probably need to get this replaced quickly, because it is getting worse - Over the last few days, sometimes after I have stopped, and then apply the accelortaor to move forward again, the brakes are stuck on, slightly. i.e. something in the ABS system has caused the brakes to continue to be applied.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Simon Nevill My cell # is (608) 335 3010

Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, *all* ABS systems have to have some way to sense wheel speed; that's precisely how they work: if one wheel's speed goes to 0, and the rest agree on 35mph, you've locked a wheel.

How easy that sensor is to replace is a different issue.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The p38s sensor is very easy to repair like you said. I am not sure if the sensor on the mkIII rovers require you to work on the hub. I believe the sensor setup is similar. Attached is a diagram of your rover's speed sensor and a general idea of how it sits. Generally what happens, is the gears inside the hub get corroded and need to be cleaned or replaced. That is probably why you need hub work. However, from the looks of it, to replace just the sensor, does not look like it would be to hard.