General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rover Recognition

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rover Recognition

All of us know how special Range Rovers are but I am always surprised to learn how many people don't havea clue. Not long ago I was filling up at a gas station and the owner of a jeep asked me what kind of car I had. Others are of course confused with Land Rover and Range Rover. The people that know it though really respect it and know how special it is.

What would you guess would be thepercentage of people in the US that know what a Range Rover is... My guess; 50%

Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Rover Recognition

I think more people know the Range Rover, maybe 70%, but the biggest mix up I hear is when people call my Discovery a Range Rover. It seems like alot of people think Range Rover is the manufacturer, and it bugs me to no end!

But you bring up a good point, these trucks to draw attention. So lady at the Gas station the other day told me my car made her want to go on an adventure! Best compliment EVER!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luxury, I agree with you. Most people don't know that Land Rover is the Manurfacturer and Range Rover is the model. I think most people know what a Range Rover is but they don't know its a Land Rover.

Great Question!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Drifting

Ditto. I've given up correcting when people ask about my Range Rovers (when most of them were Series trucks!).

Try driving a Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer. "Who makes that?" "You wouldn't understand even if I explained it to you". I told someone it was made in Austria: "Oh, did you get it shipped here from Down Under?"

Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justfred: that gave me a good laugh.

Personally, I think most people know Range Rovers. Although I agree they may call all LR's, RR's. LR really did a horrible job advertising in the NA market until recently. They've gotten a LOT better. Most major newspapers (WSJ, NYT, WTP, etc) and magazines now have ads for LR all over the place. And online advertisement seems pretty high for LR as well. I think more and more people can tell the difference now.

Would be interesting to do a study on recognition of LR and RR with random sampling though. Could be useful to LR's marketing gurus haha.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling

I think people generally think it's a Range Rover and it's a Sport, and when it's not actually a RRS they're confused.

As far as % that know what I'm driving actually is; I think that totally depends on which city I'm in.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling

I agree that Land Rover is doing a better job at advertising. I love the Have You Ever advertisements, it makes me proud to own a Range Rover.

Faymester, I almost never see Range Rovers in Canada. I think that they are much more rare than in the US.