General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rover Sport Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Rover Sport Supercharged

Hi guys ! I just came over from the Disco side. I traded my 96 Discovery for a 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. I got a pretty good deal, but the PO obviously didn't take much care of the truck at all. Anyway, first question, I got two sets of keys but only one works. They are the switch blade type key. The one that doesn't work will fit in the ignition and the lights come on, but no crank. I've looked around some, and some people say there is a battery, some say the car charges it, but one thing is for sure, it doesn't look like the case comes open easily (fob). I have an owner's manual on order, I didn't get one with the truck. More to come. TIA. Cheers.

Last edited by DiscoJag; 09-01-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Change sig
Old 09-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

The battery in the Key has NOTHING to do with starting the car. The security in this car uses a passive transponder in the key. You can take the battery out and a good key will still start the vehicle. The battery is for the keyless entry.

If it turns in the ignition, that just means the blade is correctly cut for the vehicle. The fact that it won't start, means one of three things:

1) defective key
2) un-programmed new factory key
3) eBay POS "virgin" key.

Scenarios 1 & 3 require a new key. Scenario 2 can be corrected with diagnostic tool.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Problem

Thanks for the reply LR. The key is supposed to be one that came with the truck. The blade fits, but the keyless entry doesn't work and it won't start the truck. It will fit in the ignition and the lights come on, but no start. I ordered the funky battery with the tangs on it and soldered it in (after removing the old one) - these are the switch blade keys. Still no luck. I checked and it has voltage. I just hate to go to the dealer and pay through the nose for a new key. It seems like nobody fixes these things. ;^(