General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RR: What will leave you stranded?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR: What will leave you stranded?

I am thinking about buying my lease out which is crazy to say because I never thought I would own a Range Rover due to reliability issues. With that said, I really like the car and could see myself happily living with it for several years.

My biggest concern is reliability and especially the kind of reliability that would leave you stranded. For the current model (I have a 2007 MKIII) should I be concerned with this sort of fear over the next 5 - 6 years or are the problems with Range Rovers pretty much isolated to electrical or small issues that are more of an inconvenience but won't leave you stranded?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: RR: What will leave you stranded?

I have a 2001 HSE with 48k miles - I take very good care of it. If I wanted to fix everything that has gone wrong in the past 18 months it would cost ~$2,500 and 12 hours of my time. I've been "stranded" in that I couldn't get into my car after changing the battery. My car key would only mechanically unlock the driver door, it wouldn't electronically unlock the entire vehicle (and thus disarm the alarm). You can't resynch the key fob with the alarm engaged. Therefore, every time I would open the door, the alarm would go off. I had to take the door panel off and basically car jack my own car by grounding some wires to be able to drive it again. My neighbors love me. I've read that the above procedure can cost thousands at the dealership because they don't know how to fix the problem - they just keep replacing things until the problem goes away.

Even though they are seemingly minor, there are plenty of electrical problems that could leave you "stranded." You either need plenty of money to cover towing/repairs or be knowledgeable enough to fix things yourself. I now know more about electricity and wiring than I ever imagined. My Rover was basically a stepping stone to everyday self fixes.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2006 and up don't seem to have any problems that require towing as far as I have encountered working at a dealership, but thats not to say a select few might have more bugs than the rest. I think you will be safe buying it.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the replies guys! I am wondering ifthe 2006+ problemsaren't showing up yet since they are still relatively newer.

This is such a tough call for me. My sensible economical side says to buy the car since I like it and it makes much better financial sense but the other side of me says to keep leasing new ones as I don't want my wife and baby stranded somewhere because of my cheapness (this scenario really haunts me).

Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The highest mileage 2006+ I have seen had about 92k on the clock. I have a one year old son and wouldn't want my wife and child stranded either. If you are more comfortable in having a vehicle under warranty to take care of any possible issues, then I would do that. It is a matter of personal preference.