General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Select nuetral message

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Select nuetral message

I never tried to engage low range yet since owning my 95 rr for the past few monts. I shift into neutral, then over to low range, it lights up, beeps, says low on the cluster display, put it in park and the select nuetral message comes up and changes back to high on the cluster even though I'm still in park on the low range side.

I can drive around in low range but it's definately not in low range. I searched out seized up nuetral switches but I don't know if that's my problem because I can still drive around in the low range side it just not in low range.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 AM
Mudding

Unlike a disco, the change over in the transfer case is electronic. There is a relay that shifts the truck into 4 low. Select neutral, then wait for a second or two. You can hear/feel the case shift into low, then move to low side. Seems on the older trucks it takes a few seconds to change over.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Drifting

I haven't really had time to lift it and check things out yet but when I select neutral on the low range side, nothing lights up. When I shift into park on the low range side it beeps, the lights all light up, it's low range then beeps and the select neutral message come up.

What is the procedure for installing the neutral position switch? It looked fairly new and I think it might not have been installed correctly?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Mudding

Do a search on RangeRovers.net, or down load the RAVE manual. From what have seen it seems pretty straight forward.
You have to shift s...l..o..w...l...y. When the message appears, shift to n and wait...the xfer case will click over, and then the low section should light up.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Drifting

I have the service manual and it says to put the range selector shaft into neutral, install the neutral switch, line it up with the special tool then tighten the two 10mm nut and bolt.

I did that just now and still when I switch to low range neutral nothing lights up until I put the shifter in low range Park, it all lights up and beeps, says low and comes up with "select neutral" and when I select neutral, the low side lights go out and it changes back to high range on my display.

I can sit in park on the low side, with the display saying low range for ever. Once I shift out of park on the low side it beeps and says select neutral, do that and all the lights go out and says high range. So what would cause the range selector to not pick up that it's in neutral on the low side for the lights to light up? It lights up in park but not neutral.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a little trouble getting my 1999 p38 into low side the first couple of times I tried. I would shift to Neutral on High side and push it over to Neutral on the Low side, then pull it into gear. It would all start flashing and beeping and telling me to "Select Neutral." I finally figured out (by reading on here, Thank god for this site!) that the mechanism that switches the gearbox between High and Low is electric. It's not actually done by moving the shifter like in every other 4x4 I've ever driven. What I have to do is: Shift from Neutral/High to Neutral/Low and just sit and wait a few moments for the gear box to do its switching. My problem was I was pulling it into gear before it had time to switch. So I was driving around in High side beeping and flashing, but the shifter was on the low side. Try giving the gearbox a few moments to do its switch to Low side, then pull it into gear. You said going to Low side was new to you. Hope this helps. I've only had my Range Rover about 2 weeks...Still figuring everything out...Nothing like my Disco!

Last edited by kfx4001442; 12-01-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

check fuse f11 (iirc) in the becm if it is installed, remove it.
Now try changing range, hi/low low/hi. if it doesnt shift you may have a
frozen tbox shift motor and/or a bad transfer case control module.
tccm is under the autobox control module, under the drivers seat.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Drifting

I checked the fuse first thing, it's not installed. I switch over to low range and leave it in neutral for a while and nothing happens. Is it suppose to light up in neutral on the low side? Mine doesn't, only lights up when it's shifted to park in the low side.

When I have it in park on the low side, it says low on the display and when I shift from park I can hear the transfer case shift motor click like it's trying to do something. Once I take it out of park though on the low side it switches back to high range and the low side lights shut off.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Drifting

I removed the h-gate cover and found the micro switch wires broken right off the switch. So now I need to find a new switch, any suggestions?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

go to radio shack,digi key, mouser electronics and look for a micro switch, or
give one of the venders here a call. Someone will have what you need.
Paul Grant comes to mind..

Quick Reply: Select nuetral message