General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe Gas Smell and No Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007 | 07:41 AM
|
4wd Low
Default Severe Gas Smell and No Sport Mode

This is the first series two Rangie P38I have owned, I have had three Classic'sand a 110 Safariwhen I lived back in Spain. So I have adopted the correct (I think) philosophy and approach on these "Beuties"

1. I have a pretty bad gas odour from around the tank area. I have recently changed the fuel pump, feed and return lines and filter. Using the through the floor method under the back seat. There is no evident leaking or seapage anywhere. . The CD manual does not have this shown. When ever I drive with the drivers or passengers window down the fumes get sucked right in. I have checked all over the injection rail and lines and there isn't a glimse of fuel stain. The only place I can think of is the filler necks upper of lower??? Is there a one way breathervalve on the upper neck?? I know the neck is around $475 - Am I barking up the right tree???

2. The other problem is my sport mode - The PRND1234 constantly flashes. when the ignition is on and when the engine is running.When I press the Sport button it flashes and shows up on the dash as being engaged the goes out. Since I have had the car 9 months I have never had it in sport mode. I have changed out the circuit board already because the last owner felt it a good place to spill soda and stick pennies. Thus I thought it had shortage. The change made no difference.

Linked to this - When driving, the dash display shows 'select neutral' - The directionals work but are silent - They do however 'Tick Tock' when the 4 way hazard lights are on. Do we have seperate flasher units?? I can only operate my information center when in neutral also. As if the shifter is out of sync with the "Detents"
Is the sport mode activationan obvious Solenoid Valve or Z255 gearbox control unit ??

3. The low ratio / transfer box does not kick in at all - It stays in normal high ratio when manually shifted across to low. Again Is this a possible Solenoid Valve or should we go straight for the ECU.

I can't be the only one out there with this problem - Or could I ???

Old 10-27-2007 | 10:18 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Severe Gas Smell and No Sport Mode

I wish I was more familiar with the P38's so I could help you. Are you showing any check engine lights? I am wondering if the evap/purge system is not functioning properly or there may be a small vapor leak coming from one of it's hoses??

Old 11-20-2007 | 07:41 PM
|
4wd Low
Default RE: Severe Gas Smell and No Sport Mode

I found a the breather hose nipple cracked, at where it connects to the upper neck. This is a pricey item ($475 from Atlantic British) so I tried JB weld on it. So far so good. How on earth did it crack though?? all the hoses are so tightly tied together. I think possibly someone tried to syphon gas off me???

Any ideas on the servo valves for the sport mode??
Thanks