General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaky steering wheel tie rod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaky steering wheel tie rod?

I just acquired this 98 HSE at 133k miles.
The steering wheel feels a little shaky over bumps and certain surfaces. I know the tired are good and balanced so if memory serves me right like most cars loose bushings or tie rod?
I would like to fix this problem, can someone tell me which parts I would need for this fix, thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling

I would look at the steering damper first. Especially if the steering starts to shakes after you hit a bump going faster than say 40 mph ish and the shaking doesn't stop until you slow the vehicle down. Problem could be loose steering if speed is not a factor. Just my wild guesses.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Check your tire pressures. More than 35psi will contribute to that out of control shimmy. Inspect the track rod ends for looseness. Next, buy a Bilstein steering damper. While the car is jacked up, disconnect the track rods and see if the swivels turn freely. They should not feel too loose. Nor should they bind for that matter. An experienced Land Rover mechanic can adjust the tension on the swivels if neccessary, it involves shims and a fish scale.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Get the steering right before installing a new damper, you don't want to mask worn parts with a new damper.
IIRC the '98 has upper and lower ball joints rather than swivel pins and there's no adjustment. Either that are good or they aren't.
Aside from those and the tie rod ends, other things to check are the steering box mounting bolts, steering column shaft u-joints, suspension bushings, etc.
Correct tire pressure is dependent on the tires you have an the load they are supporting.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the replies, I will look into them when I have the chance but been moving and first thing is oil change and coolant, what type should I use and what does the dealer put into these?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Shell rotella 15w-40 diesel oil (yes diesel oil) and any brand of green antifreeze, do not use orange dexcol.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Three Wheeling

I just remembered I was having a similar problem. Driving at highway speeds my suspension would shake when the car hit the threshold of the asphalt and a concrete bridge or overpass. I did not have this issue until I replaced the trailing control arm. A front end alignment fixed this issue.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving at highway speeds my suspension would shake when the car hit the threshold of the asphalt and a concrete bridge or overpass.
Mine does the same, but it otherwise drives fine. I plan on doing some front end steering work on it in the future, but for the most part I've just lived with it for the past 3 years. It only does it at higher speeds when hitting a threshold. I installed a new damper a year ago (the original was leaking and had a dent in it) and saw no difference when I put the new one on.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I to have the same problem on my RRC I have checked the frontend from top to bottom amd from one side to the other and can not find anything excessively
worn.
But if i put the left front tire in a pothole at speed I get a death wobble, which will stop a few a seconds later (probably soon) just fells like a long time.
I had a local frontend shop look at it they could not find the problem either.
I was thinking maybe the Steering Flex Coupling was bad?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Overlanding

Looks like I will just live with it for now

Quick Reply: Shaky steering wheel tie rod?