General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Shifting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Strange Shifting...

Well, I cleaned my MAF and the kick down seems to be working properly so I'm thinking that probably eliminates the TPS but, the transmission still shifts strange. It does it around 3rd gear at around 2100 RPM otherwise it is not that noticeable. Here is a link so you can watch what happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-NofFHPDGU P.s. my cruise control stopped working this night too (yes I already checked the vacuum lines, it no longer makes the clicking noise like it used to when I activated it). Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched your video and the shifting seems completely normal to me. Mine shifts the exact same way. I also get 15 mpg and am happy with that considering the vehicle is heavy and is in 4wd all the time. Hope that helps you.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How many miles on the tranny and when was it last serviced?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did do a transmission flush about 600 miles ago along with a filter change. The owner before me did not use dexron III when he replaced it, thankfully I caught it quickly and was able to solve the odd grinding noise which was a result of improper fluid. Ive also considered doing another flush and drain the whole system to make sure all of that other fluid is COMPLETELY out. I have another question for you all, when I start the vehicle on a cold day it takes awhile for the transmission to start shifting at its normal RPMS (usually much higher than normal). I don't know why it is doing this but, it will resume normal shifting after about 3-5 minutes (probably just warming up, but I want to check if anyone else experiences this). I've also asked some other p38 owners if it was normal for it to look like it is shifting 8 times, and they all said yes. I guess its normal, however weird it might be lol.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
I did do a transmission flush about 600 miles ago along with a filter change. The owner before me did not use dexron III when he replaced it, thankfully I caught it quickly and was able to solve the odd grinding noise which was a result of improper fluid. Ive also considered doing another flush and drain the whole system to make sure all of that other fluid is COMPLETELY out. I have another question for you all, when I start the vehicle on a cold day it takes awhile for the transmission to start shifting at its normal RPMS (usually much higher than normal). I don't know why it is doing this but, it will resume normal shifting after about 3-5 minutes (probably just warming up, but I want to check if anyone else experiences this). I've also asked some other p38 owners if it was normal for it to look like it is shifting 8 times, and they all said yes. I guess its normal, however weird it might be lol.
You might want to send me your tele number and I'll call you.