General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension problem RRS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension problem RRS

Hey guys, well i have a problem with my 06 rrs,

the ride has got very very bouncy and rough, on newly paved roads your still bouncing on the road.

now the car has no air leaks and when diagnosed at a independent shop , they said the everything looks good as in the air pressure . and there are no broken parts, or faults on the computer

Now the shop says i need to replace ALL the bags, which as you can imagine would be very costly to do. So i called the dealership to find out the price and the service manager asked why i needed all four , after explaining he said no way should all of them need replacing .

Has anyone ever experienced something like this ? and have a solution to this problem.

any input would be highly appreciated

Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the tire pressure set at, are you running original 255 50 R19 OR 275 40 R20 tires with 38psi front and 42 psi in the rear?

Its rare but I have seen valves on air suspension but that allows the vehicle to go flat overnite. If everything is correct then its possible a center conrol valve is going bad but even then its real impossible to know. Did you have the dealer drive it to make sure the problem has been verified.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Drifting

no way you need 4 new bags
i would check the shocks though (whats the millage)
make sure that harmonic dumpers (2 weights behind rear bumper are moving freely)
if there is no faults stored and suspension operates as it should velve blocks should be ok
There is a pressure sensor in the valvle block next to compressor worth checking as well (incorrect reading????)
nothing i can think of assuming that all ball joints and bushes are ok

Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
What is the tire pressure set at, are you running original 255 50 R19 OR 275 40 R20 tires with 38psi front and 42 psi in the rear?

Its rare but I have seen valves on air suspension but that allows the vehicle to go flat overnite. If everything is correct then its possible a center conrol valve is going bad but even then its real impossible to know. Did you have the dealer drive it to make sure the problem has been verified.
the tire pressure is set correctly, and orginal 19 inch wheels and Michelin tires.

the car looses no air at all, i left it for a week in the garage since its undriveable, and it lost no air at all

the independent shop guy ( who used to work with land rover in the uk) test drove it and was the one who agreed the ride was too bouncy and then after this checked with the computer and reset and recalibrated the bags, and made sure they were at the right pressure and all

Originally Posted by Adigorn
no way you need 4 new bags
i would check the shocks though (whats the millage)
make sure that harmonic dumpers (2 weights behind rear bumper are moving freely)
if there is no faults stored and suspension operates as it should velve blocks should be ok
There is a pressure sensor in the valvle block next to compressor worth checking as well (incorrect reading????)
nothing i can think of assuming that all ball joints and bushes are ok
thats what i said all the bags cant go at once, the car just hit 68,000 miles tonight , as i brought it home from the garage office to my house untill i get it fixed)

when i spoke to the guy he said there are no shocks, only air bags, and i need to replace those at 700$ a corner + taxes + labor

so im not sure if they are trying to make a quick buck or what.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:04 AM
Drifting

there are shocks and the bags they just want to make their life easier changing whole assembly
saying checked the pressure im assuming read the pressure using diagnostic equipment which still doesnt rule out faulty pressure sensor
unless he checked the pressure with a gauge (in which i doubt)

Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might do some investigating ,
take a tape measure and measure the front and rear fender lips to ground,
write the numbers down go to the dealer and look at some used RRS and measure these the more the better,
this will give you info about the ride height if your truck is higher than the ones you measure then you probably have a pressure valve going bad and the pressure in your truck is higher thus the truck level will be higher.

OTOH if your ride height is good then it might be time to consider replacing the shocks.
I just put rear shocks on my 05 HSE (one was blown and truck has 63K miles on it) and i think that for me replacing the fronts might not be a bad idea either, as it seems under damped

. Arnott sells rebuilt front shocks for the HSE but they only put on new bags and they dont do anything to the shock absorbers so getting rebuilt Arnotts is not the plan

BUT buying new front struts may be the only option,
if you shop around you can get them new for close to half price of the dealer

Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Mudding

first things first if you have no warning lamps on your ipak then your suspension (air suspension) is probably working fine. now as far as the bumpy roads go make sure your talking about a up and down motion and not side to side. ive seen this plenty of times customer will come in complaing of same issue you have and have found suspension / steering parts loose like tie rod ends and such, lower control arms, but most common either your sway arm bushings are busted or sway arm links it almost feels like a boat motion. no way all your air struts have gone bad.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin
you might do some investigating ,
take a tape measure and measure the front and rear fender lips to ground,
write the numbers down go to the dealer and look at some used RRS and measure these the more the better,
this will give you info about the ride height if your truck is higher than the ones you measure then you probably have a pressure valve going bad and the pressure in your truck is higher thus the truck level will be higher.

OTOH if your ride height is good then it might be time to consider replacing the shocks.
I just put rear shocks on my 05 HSE (one was blown and truck has 63K miles on it) and i think that for me replacing the fronts might not be a bad idea either, as it seems under damped

. Arnott sells rebuilt front shocks for the HSE but they only put on new bags and they dont do anything to the shock absorbers so getting rebuilt Arnotts is not the plan

BUT buying new front struts may be the only option,
if you shop around you can get them new for close to half price of the dealer
the ride height is normal, we have another range rover sport (2009 td in kenya) and the height is about the same ,

Originally Posted by socalrovershop
first things first if you have no warning lamps on your ipak then your suspension (air suspension) is probably working fine. now as far as the bumpy roads go make sure your talking about a up and down motion and not side to side. ive seen this plenty of times customer will come in complaing of same issue you have and have found suspension / steering parts loose like tie rod ends and such, lower control arms, but most common either your sway arm bushings are busted or sway arm links it almost feels like a boat motion. no way all your air struts have gone bad.
the motion is up and down for sure, when driving on a new paved highway, even the slightest variations on the road rocks you back and forth. and when entering a driveway of any shopping center ( where you cross the sidewalk) the rear passenger honestly flys upwards off their seat, if driving at anything but a snail pace.

where would you guys suggest to buy the shocks?

thanks

Old 08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
7th Gear

i found these Rear Shock Absorbers for Land Rover Range Rover Sport 05-09 4.4 V8 AJ Pet - LR016423, LR016424 - 2006

anyone buy from these people before? and are these a good price??

also how hard would these be to replace? i have mechanic at my work who works on all our cars and knows suspension, but the only air suspension he knows is on trucks and trailers. is the procedure on changing them out only recommended for a dealer to do or should it be pretty straight forward

Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
7th Gear

an update, bought 2 new struts for inside the bags, replaced them my self , found that both the rear were leaking bad and had lots of play in them. with the new ones in car drives like new.

not a hard job, if your going to do it yourself if recommend buying the whole assembly ( with bag etc.) but to save a few bucks you can change it all yourself. I just found the rubber thats on the shocks got stuck inside the bag Assembly and we had to pry it out ( 2 hours in total for both the bags haha) but all in all did it for under 600$ vs paying the dealership nearly 2000$