General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nokian Hakkapeliitta R Tires!

Hey everyone,

I live in Wisconsin and needless to say, we see some bad winters here. I purchased an 08' Supercharged Range Rover Sport last year, and i didn't think the high performance summer tires that were on it would do well in the lake effect snow.
I went with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta (Props for anyone who can pronounce that right...) R tire.
Simply put, it is the best winter tire i've ever owned. It really blew every other winter tire i ever owned out of the water.
I used to have Michelin X-ices on my 05 BMW M3, and i expected to the Hakkapeliitta R to be a little rougher riding and worse on gas considering the vehicle it was on...but BOY was i wrong.
The gas mileage actually IMPROVED significantly. I was getting an average of 12Mpg in the city and i saw an increase of 5MPG when switching to this tire. I looked it up, and apparently its because of the canola oil compound they use instead of petroleum. It's apparently the lowest rolling resistance tire that Nokian produces, which was news to me.
Other than the leap in MPG i noticed, i also noticed a much quieter ride (so i can hear the whine of that supercharger ) and i noticed that it just seemed more comfortable going over bumps and gravel.
I could pretty much go on all day about how much i love this tire, but i'll spare you. Moral of the story: BUY THIS TIRE. Excellent handling, excellent ride, quiet, great design, and great price compared to the Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme tires.

**Also, got an email from TiresByWeb.com where i bought my Hak R's from telling me that they have a sale on Nokians right now - $40 off a set of 4 if you enter NOKIAN40 at checkout. Expires September 20th. Too bad i don't need any tires right now! Figures.

Ps. Before you PM me telling me i'm a bot...I posted this same thing on RangeRover.net, but i think i'll get better exposure here.

-Hope this helps all you winter Range Rover owners!