General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the Plunge on a RR - is certified used worth the $?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the process of comparing CPO to an aftermarket warranty to a Land Rover warranty. Here are my brief comments: (This is based on a 2012 RR SC @ 149K miles
CPO adds about $7K-$10K to the price of the car.
LR warranty cost $6,500, for up to 6 years from original sold date and 100K miles (no deductible)
Carchex Titanium warranty $5,700: gave me 6 1/2 years and 95K miles, $100 deductible.
Both equaled $0.13 per mile of coverage.

As I was paying cash for the extended warranty, I went with CarChex Titanium. (There is a one month $1000 start up before the actual warranty kicks in, for me this meant I had no warranty for a period of 450 miles, holy cow!, that made me sweat).

I have put $6K on it so far, and have two issues:
1. Battery was original and was shot, but I did not realize it, until it died one day, $150 for a new one from Napa, and $50 to get it installed. I was busy and did not have the security Torq driver that is required)
2. When the battery died, coincidentally the rear lower tailgate release switch stopped working. If I had the Landy Warranty I would take it in, but I have the CarChex and don't feel like paying $100 plus the time and effort of taking to the dealer to get it fixed, so I will probably figure it out for myself when I get around to it.

If you get factory CPO, you would get Two keys, I only got one!, you would also get good tires, mine were well worn, and probably a new battery :-)

Hope this helps someone who is looking into a used LR with

Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cpo purchase definitely worth it. IN CANADA

Hey all,

I've already posted about how it is worth it to go the CPO route as when I last posted they warranty covered 8k worth of parts and labor. Fast forward to today and my CPO warranty expires TOMORROW.

Since my last post I have been bringing in my 2010 RRS SC, almost once a month with an issue. The dealership has honored their warranty tremendously not once quibbling about wether or not this is covered or that. I was always offered a loaner or rental and never made to "fight" to get something covered like many other dealerships may make a customer do.

That said, to date I've accumulated over 30k worth of warranty work ALL COVERED UNDER THE CPO WARRANTY. So is it worth it? Hell yeah it is.

Don't EVER buy a used Land Rover from a used car lot. The warranty they will try to sell you won't even come close to the CPO program that Jaguar Land Rover dealers have in place.

Last edited by Pabloottawa; 02-14-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:52 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't get a CPO vehicle, and you are under $50K with a CARFAX showing service work and oil changes then give DeltaAuto Protect a call. I did. $2,500 cost for 5yrs 60K warranty with no deductible and tire and rim they pay first $100 to fix/replace - excellent peace of mind