General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 RR-HSE (Steering Wheel Problem)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2004 RR-HSE (Steering Wheel Problem)

My 04 RR-HSE's steering wheel has been acting up on me, by not allowing me to adjust it to a certain height level. It prevents me from making it go up or down for some odd reason. It works fine when it comes to adjusting on the reaching distance, and it retracts to its original size upon turning off the vehicle, but for some odd reason the actual side lever which allows it to move up or down does not seem to respond.

I manage to take off the three hex screws located underneath the steering wheels plastic cover, and I checked all the wires to see whether any where burned out, but everything appeared fine. Also, I disconnected and reconnected the actual (white) plastic connector which goes to the lever part, but nothing happen.

If anyone has experienced and manage to fix this problem, your expertise would really be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Keep on Roving..

Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check for a power signal to the motor and ground. if its there its the motor. But make sure the recall was done for the steering wheel. There should be a little plastic washer at the other end installed. no washer, it may have broken a piece holding in the other parts.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:37 PM
3rd Gear

I am having the same problem on my 2003. It seems to work about every other time I enter the vehicle. Is there a time limit on having the recall done? I'm not sure if this has been done yet as I am not the original owner.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:13 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

not on the recall I believe but if the dealer said the recall was done have them check to be on the safe side. I saw a few that some other dealer techs let thru only to break later on.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Drifting

I'll check on the recall ASAP. Also, I manage to get it working again. First, set the ignition switch towards your on position that the steering wheel is fully extracted because right below the steering wheel there is a plastic cover which has three hex screws. Take those off and seperate tht bottom plastic from the steering wheel.

Secondly, the actual lever which allows you to operate the steering wheels movement, you can actually have that entire assembly part slide out by pushing the small black clip outboard. Upon doing so, there's one of two things it can. First, it's eitherthe first small motor that has a three prong connector to it. It either either gave out and it's no longer working. If not, inside the actual lever which allows you to move the steering wheel, towards the outside part of the assemble, it has 2 small hex screws which must be removed in order to open it up. Upon opening up, there is a circuit board, ensure it's not loose, and because if it is, that might be your problem which is causing your wheel's movement from not adjusting up or down.

Hope this helps and didn't confuse you.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering column reach spindle nut

Originally Posted by NhudeST
My 04 RR-HSE's steering wheel has been acting up on me, by not allowing me to adjust it to a certain height level. It prevents me from making it go up or down for some odd reason. It works fine when it comes to adjusting on the reaching distance, and it retracts to its original size upon turning off the vehicle, but for some odd reason the actual side lever which allows it to move up or down does not seem to respond.

I manage to take off the three hex screws located underneath the steering wheels plastic cover, and I checked all the wires to see whether any where burned out, but everything appeared fine. Also, I disconnected and reconnected the actual (white) plastic connector which goes to the lever part, but nothing happen.

If anyone has experienced and manage to fix this problem, your expertise would really be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Keep on Roving..
I had several issues with my 03 range Rover l322 steering column. Frankly it is an over mechanized POS in my opinion. To start the tilt motor sounded like it worked. I even removed it and tested it. It seemed to spin but when it had the wheel pressure on it it would not spin. So I replaced the motor and that fixed the problem. The 4 prongs casted into the housing to hold the tile spindel nut was damaged. 2 of the 4 prongs where broken. Only way to fix this is to install a new steering column which I purchased a used one and installed. The 3rd issue was that the reach spindel nut is manufactured out of pvc instead of brass which is used for the tilt spindel nut. Anybody with a common sense of mechanical engineering should know that you can not expect a steal acme thread to rotate through pvc without stripping out the threads. As a result you have 2 choices to fix this. Buy a used starting column to get a new pvc reach nut with no guarantee and pray that the new one isn't stripped out. But it could still strip out in the future, or buy our custom American made machines reach spindel nut. I have access to a machine shop and decided to manufacture an aftermarket reach spindle nut machined out of aluminum nickel bronze. Here is a link to my part to purchase.

Range Rover L322 Steering Column Reach Spindle Nut Aluminum Nickel Bronze | eBay

Some people are asking what it takes to switch out the entire column. I did it from start to finish in 8 hours. Definitely not a fun project. Be very delicate with all the interior pieces and do not hammer on the end of the column in attempt to get it to insert into the spline at the fire wall. Also I did not need to remove the entire dash. Instead I removed the air vents and side trim, driver side dash bolts and just popped out our and pulled back for minimum clearance needed.

For those trying to figure out thread sizes. The reach and tilt spindel is a m10x1.5 trapezoidal metric screw thread. The female steering wheel bolt thread is a m14x1.5 trapezoidal metric as well.