General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp Gauge Kind of Odd...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Temp Gauge Kind of Odd...

Well, my temp gauge likes to tell me the vehicle is not running hot even though it really is not. I took it in yesterday to have them replace the temp sensor thinking that would solve the problem but, it did not. We let it sit there for about 10min with the a/c running to try and diagnose the problem with the a/c system too lol (we think it is a leak in the evaporator, ) the needle likes to stay in the 1 o clock position and will often fluctuate from 12 to 1:30 (2nd to last mark before in the "hot zone") Even with the needle that far over the engine was only at 199 F. We used a laser gun on the head of the engine where the coolant was leaving at the hottest point which was at 199 and then at the bottom of the radiator which was 182. So the engine appears to be cooling itself but that stupid temp gauge likes to fool me. I've considered that there might be interference with the temp signal or some computer flaw that is taking place. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the remedy was.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yes, I experience this every time I drive my rover. Does the EXACT same thing as yours. I replaced the viscous clutch, and the two electric fans. I was about to order a new radiator, when I figured out that it is some kind of electrical problem. I know mine is not running hot because the viscous fan is not engaging and neither are the electric fans. Also, the gauge just kind of moves up to 1:00 and then back down to 12:00, very unlike an overheating engine. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. It drives me nuts so I am still working on fixing it. I have figured out that the gauge goes higher, the more load I put on the electrical system. For example, let it idle and go to the 1:00 position. Then turn your blower to full blast and turn on your lights. Your gauge will probably go into the red. Mine will. Then, if I turn down the blower and turn off the lights, it goes right back down. I believe that maybe there is not enough voltage getting to the sensor when the engine is hot but I have not tested that theory. Another theory is a bad ground to the gauge. I re-did all of the body grounds in the rave manual, and replaced the alternator. I have not replaced the connector that goes onto the temp gauge sending unit. I also have not pulled the gauge cluster and checked for voltage and a good ground directly at the gauge. That will be my next step and I will post the results. For now, I am just living with it.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found this while surfing the net: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TMPGK.cfm might be an easy answer to our prayers . Mine kind of does it whenever it wants to but, I do notice when I let off the accelerator and push the brake, it almost immediately moves about 1/2 click to the right and then once i start moving it goes back, probably the accumulator kicking in. I also noticed it would move (when I bought it) if I turned the heated seats on or something. Its an odd problem and there are to many grounds to check in my opinion for it to be worth going through the system. So I might try that kit and just get it over with.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is amazing. This must be a common problem. I wonder how many perfectly good parts (radiators, thermostats, head gaskets, sensors, ets) have been replaced because of this electrical problem. It must be a fairly common problem for them to make this kit. Thanks for the info.