General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these the worst engineered and built vehicles in the world?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That book symbol can be misleading. I get the book now and then even though everything works fine. Sometimes it comes on if the passenger and drive side temp settings are more than 6 degrees different.

I generally ignore it now.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That book symbol can be misleading. I get the book now and then even though everything works fine. Sometimes it comes on if the passenger and drive side temp settings are more than 6 degrees different.
lol, yep!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM
4th Gear
Default P38 gremlins

Hi guys i,m new on here so probably in the wrong place but any help would be appreciated,i have just traded my series 111 for a 1996 4.6 hse p38,now i find when i brake the rev counter,speedo,radio,and even heater blower all die for a moment,and the tc abs lights come on..have i been ripped off big time ? But that aside it says market not set and the book is on in the heater screen..

Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you would be better served starting a new post instead of adding to a 25 month old post. Especially one with the heading Are these the worst engineered and built vehicles in the world? if you would like help. JMHO

Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You'll be making an appointment with the dealer to program your ECU for the global market the truck is used in. Sets up a variety of paramters, like emmissions, 75 mph speeding warning (gULF sTATES), range of gasoline, etc.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Drifting
Default Answer to your question: Yes.

These ARE the worst. In the world. In all history. Now you know. KO.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP,

I can relate to your frustrations as I just got my 2010 RRS S/C and brought it to the dealership on recommendation from my cousin who is a Ford Mechanic (Ford used to be part owner of LR). He heard a high pitched whining noise on start up so off to the dealer I went. Three days and over $7,000.00 later I got the car back in great shape and I'm happy to say it was all covered under warranty. There's still the fan clutch that has to be replaced but that poses no threat to the car at this time and will also be done under warranty in January.
That said, all these repairs, while still done under warranty, does make me question the reliability of these cars. Yes I get the whole "they are super reliable and awesome in any condition as long as you properly maintain it ", but really guys? Seven thousand dollars worth of work after only FOUR years? On a car that retailed for over $100,000 when it left the lot? To me that's unnacceptable and I love love love the look, the sound and the attention this car brings but if it's still this needy after the warranty expires I will have no choice but to sell it and go back to German cars. It really is a shame because these trucks are so impressive on so many levels. If only Land Rover invested more in overall reliability and made a true effort with their product, these cars would Truly be the best cars out there. Maybe the previous owner was not as diligent with maintenance as I was told but either way I'm going to give this brand the benefit of the doubt and do the regular maintenance as well as some pre-emptive maintenance to stay on top of things. I hope I'm wrong with regards to my fears but we'll see. Before buying the Rover I knew it's reputation and went into the purchase with eyes wide open so I'm hoping that like all my used cars, these repairs are the ones long overdue and we can get back to regularly scheduled maintenance. 😀

Last edited by Pabloottawa; 12-24-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Typos