General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to look for when buying an 04-05 RR

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Things to look for when buying an 04-05 RR

Im looking into purchasing an 04-05 Range Rover and I have a few questions about them. From what people tell me they are expensive with maintainance costs and replacement parts are also expensive.

Budget: Low 20,000's (on autotrader.com there are many higher milage RRs for around 23k-25k)

Should I be worried about getting one with 50,000 to 60,000 miles?
What are some of the more expensive known parts that typically need replacement?

I have also been looking at 04 model Jeep Grand Cherokees, they are also in the low $20,000 range, but I would also assume that they are cheaper to maintain. This SUV will be driven aprox 500 miles a month or so. I would LOVE to have a RR as they are much nicer than the Jeep and being in the same ball park for a used one has me curious. The only worry I have is keeping it running with out spending a small fortune.

Thanks in advance, and any thoughts or comments would be very much appreciated.

Dan R

Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A rover will be the same price to maintain as a jeep, if you do it right. Generally rovers do have more problems than an average car, but most of the time they are electronic. You will encounter more electrical problems with the 04 and 05 models vs. mechanical. The head gaskets do need to be replaced every now and then with the L322 RRs (2003-2005). Make sure the rover you are buying has had the differential recall done on it. They are a very solid rover despite their random idiosyncratic issues. If you do buy one, get a warranty, or NEVER unless you HAVE to take it to the dealer. The labor charges there are very high, which is why they are "expensive" to maintain. If you have a local independent shop do most of the work for you that is familiar with rovers. The cost of maintenance will be similar to that of a jeep. If you want a cheap to maintain, less trouble some vehicle (not that "less" mind you) then a jeep would be a better choice. If you want something that is surprisingly amazing off-road, has a regal demeanor to it, and is a bit more to maintain. Then get a rover. In the end the choice is yours, and you should do what is right for you. A rover is not the vehicle for everyone, but it is the only vehicle I will ever buy again (except jaguar).

Old 12-12-2009, 12:14 PM
5th Gear

LRScott,

Thank you for your reply! Your information has been very helpful and I will make sure to look and ask for those things when shopping around. How often does the head gasket typically need replacement...I know that those can be quite an expensive issue. Also, you said it has electrical problems (more so than mechanical) are those electrical problems ones that need replacement of computers, etc or just little things that can be delt with and not have to spend much money on? Electrical gremlins can be huge headaches..can you elaborate a little more on what kind of electrical problems that occure are?

Thanks again,
Dan

Old 12-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Pro Wrench

The headgaskets are not as big of a problem on the 03 to 05 models. But they it does happen, I would assume around 120 to 150k miles. The older RRs like mine from 95 to 02 usually need new ones every 100k miles or so. With the computers, it just depends. Most of the time a simple reset and reprogram fixes a lot of the issues. However, there are cases where the whole computer does need to be replaced. The electrical problems can range from windows not going up or down, to not starting, to radio malfunctions. Just about anything you can think of. That does not necessarily mean you will get one that has all those things go wrong. The RRs have a central computer that controls everything, so when any sort of odd issue occurs, it can usually be traced to it. You will also come across the occasional weird problem from time to time, that comes and then goes never to be seen again. I hope someone else with an L322 comes on here to elaborate more. I can only go into so much detail about the newer ones because my experience is limited.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

Just bought a 05 and love it. I looked at a lot of cars, and chose the 05 because of the DVD nav and Bluetooth. This one also had the upgraded interior with the stitching on the dashboard and armrests. There seems to be less sagging and bubbling on the armrests with the upgraded interior.

It turns out that the Bluetooth is not compatible with the iPhone. There is some discussion of a software upgrade, but the dealer says that I have to replace the entire interface module at a cost of around $1k.

Adding an iPod interface seems difficult/expensive as well.

The 03/04 seems to be upgradable to DVD Nav, Bluetooth, etc, but seems like a lot to spend when you've just bought it.

Overall, I'm very happy with the truck.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:23 AM
5th Gear

thanks for the replies guys. One more question. A friend of mine says he worked on RRs before and he said that at every 60k miles there is a maintaince procedure that costs around $1,800 (taking apart diffs, etc to lub and put new seals and stuff on). Is that true? Seems expensive to have an almost $2k scheduled maintaince procedure. He also said a lot of people dont do this and so later on down the road after you buy a used one you have BIG issues...

Old 12-28-2009, 07:28 PM
4wd Low

I'm glad I came across this thread- I'm in the same position as AreYouSerious- looking for RR around 2004 in the low $20k range. There is an HSE in my town for sale with 44,000 miles. Asking $24,000. It was a single owner, and looks like it was very well kept. Does $24k seem fair or is it a little high?

Also, does anyone have any experience with aftermarket auto warranties? I typically handle my own repairs, but with some of the things I have read about head gaskets and electrical problems, I'm wondering if finding a good (legitimate) warranty is worth looking at.

Looking forward to spending many hours on this forum

Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Offer them 18 and see what they do. I'll bet you can get it for 22 if not 20k.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 PM
5th Gear

Wow, if you can get that for 20k, that seems like a hell of a deal. Just make sure you get the service histroy. I still havent gotten an answer on the 60k milage service thing. If that is true, be prepared to spend another $2000. (hopefully you can get this done cheaper at a good shop). Good luck, let us know how the deal goes!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:48 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

60k maintenance is coolant, spark plugs, air and pollen filter, rotate, lof.

you change the oil every 15k with pure synthetic mobil 1.

And no head gaskets dont go in those. They leak coolant from radiators, hoses, tanks, Intake valley pan gaskets go, pcv hoses blow off and 1000 dollar alternators go eating up a very expensive battery.

Thats not including the tires that chop, the various suspension parts that can go or the 1200 dollar frt air bags that leak.

Oh and the stuff likes to seize up and its a bear to get out.

and thats just the outside.

Inside well stuff aint cheap and the stuff that does go usually requires a trip to the dealer and dealer parts only.

Quick Reply: Things to look for when buying an 04-05 RR