General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control Light

I've searched through the forums and haven't found anything specific about this.
I don't really have a problem yet. Just trying to avoid one.
The traction control light seems to be staying on longer that it used to. It used to turn off 2 or 3 seconds after starting the engine. Lately it seems to take 20 or so seconds to turn off. It doesn't seem to matter if I start it and let it idle or if I put it in gear and drive. It just takes longer either way. I have no faults or other lights acting strange.
Could this be something with the brake pump or the pads or something?

Thanks for any ideas.
Rioja Red

Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Traction Control Light

I have often heard those lights like traction control and gearbox fault come on when battery is low-that's the case with mine now. with all of the issuesRRs have with batteries, I wonder why there is not a meter on the dash for this. I am having an optima yellow top deep cycle put into my 02 RR HSE today. hopefully that will solve my issues which have persisted from my 99 to my 02

Old 11-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

This is probably the first time I have heard of the ETC light coming and staying on for any period of time. Normally that light only comes on with the key in the second position and goes of as soon as the engine starts. It is designed to come on only while moving on a slippery surface where additional traction is deemed necessary. I bet a problem is in the works but just can't say what without more information.

As for the Disco getting a new Yellow Top battery today, good choice. I have dual Yellow Tops in my D2 to handle my winch and they never fail me.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Overlanding

Yes the oncoming problem is what I'm wondering about. The brake warning light is also staying on for the same period and turning off at the same time. This only seems to happen when the truck has been setting for a while like overnight. I don't know yet how long it can set befor it occures. My normal driving habbits only include going to work and back. I will have to keep an eye on it for a while. I'm wondering if the ABS pump is having trouble getting up to pressure but I would think the ABS light would also be on. Time will tell.
As for the battery I have no clue as to it's age since the truck is still fairly new to me. It seems to be in good shape as in the headlights don't dim if left on after turning off the ignition. I'm thinking of replacing it anyway since winter should be here any day and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Rioja

Old 11-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

The only thing you can do is take it to a shop, leave it over night, have them plug in a scanner first thing in the morning and see what shows up.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:12 PM
6th Gear

I posted this on the wrong thread by mistake. I meant to post it here. Anyways, I seem to have the same problem. In the last 2 months or so when I hit the brake suddenly I saw the traction control light lit on the dash broadfor a second and goes off. I only saw that a couple of times. In the last few days I noticed that when I start my car I see the "Traction Overheat" in the message center which goes away whenthe engine is on. I didn't notice any message while driving like the one I got inbefore.I checked the break fluid and it was on min so I tapped it to max now hoping that could be the problem. I am having an impeding problem in the works? Any suggestions? Thanks.
I need to replacethe tail pipe and center muffler too. They have holes in them. Dealer quoted me $600.00 for the parts alone. Any suggestion as to where to purchase these parts for a discount?

Old 12-01-2007, 04:31 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to check for a siezed caliper too, if one is sticky it might be releasing slow and causing this. It's a long-shot though but those calipers take a lot of abuse.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Flush your brake fluid, it will take at least 2 quarts to do so and this may/should help, if not, it was probably past do anyway.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:57 PM
6th Gear

Thanks Mike,I will do the break fluid flash. The past couple of days I noticed that when I hit the breaks the ABS and TC light will flash for split second and then go off. This happens even in a non slippery dry surface. I have owned my RR for 7 years now and never saw those lights light upbefore when I apply the break. The light will only come on when I break semi-hard to hard suddenly. If I just tap the breaks slowly, those light do not come on. Changed my center muffler and tail pipe today. I bought the kit from Atlantic British. The tail pipe looks well made. It is made by Britparts. The center muffler was made by Bosal and man looks like some child's experiment. Looks poorly made and used. There was a poor welding all over it.Very disappointed. I was fooled by the pictures I saw at their website. I am not even sure if this thing will last. Any body has any experience with Bosal muffler parts?