General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer Wiring

I have used my Suburban for towing a trailer for 15 years and it's time to retire it and I want to start to use my 98 Range Rover now. I got underneith it looking for trailer wiring from the factory but didn't see any. I have the hitch but no wiring.
Is it tucked away or hidden, or there is no wiring?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trailer Wiring

When I bought my '01 Rover, the previous owner had the hitch package, but same thing, I could not find the wiring. It was tucked up under the black plastic piece that covers the gap between rear cargo area and tail gate. Might wanna take a look under that and check the rest of the rear cargo area from tail light to tail light!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Mudding

Do you mean under the Rover or inside the tire well. I was afraid to just start tearing out stuff to look for wiring that might not be there.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No no no..Ya know when you lift up the back glass, and then put down the tailgate part? That black plastic flap that says RANGE ROVER on it that covers the gap between the body and the tailgate hinges. That's where my wiring was stashed. I'll see if I can get a pic for ya

Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 93's are tucked into the right rear body under the taillight -- under the bumper. On those it's a round socket that is covered -- you need an adapter that fits the special plug on the 93 -- might be better on the 98. atlantic british is usually too pricey for me -- but they did list a "conversion" box unit that interprets the rover wiring and sends to a US 4 pin standard plug on the output. I got the rover kit for the 93 and the wiring doesn't match colors -- had to do trial and error. Oddly, the SWB and the LWB have different outputs when the lights on on (lights off they are similar). my LWB had problems with lights on (not to mention blowing fuses). Switching to LED trailer lights helped a ton, however, I really need that conversion box on the 93LWB.

Word to the wise.. I'd drain and refill your 98 tranny and transfer case with mobil1 synthetic tranny fluid before I started towing anything. I'd also take the time to drain and refill the front and rear differentials (pure synthetic gear oil) as well. It's cheap insurance.... really cheap compared to replacing hard parts.

Good luck...

Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Mudding

Went out this morning and looked under the black plastic flip cover on the tailgate and found nothing.
NO wiring.
I'l have to crawl under and see if I can find some tailight wiring to connect to.
Any ideas?