General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Crapped out

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny Crapped out

Well, I had the truck running just great after I did the unmentionable swap of the 4.0 in place of the 4.6. Today though while driving on the freeway at 70 with the cruise control on the tranny just stop driving. The truck coasted to the side and I was not able to select any gear option. There was no noise, surge or anything just the engine revving. Got ti towed to a local shop and of course they said they cannot read anything. Do you have any ideas as to what happened? The tranny has 132K on it and I double checked all the sensors on the side of the road and nothing fixed it.

Is this something that may be a common fix or do I now have to do a tranny as well?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by handsome rob
Well, I had the truck running just great after I did the unmentionable swap of the 4.0 in place of the 4.6. Today though while driving on the freeway at 70 with the cruise control on the tranny just stop driving. The truck coasted to the side and I was not able to select any gear option. There was no noise, surge or anything just the engine revving. Got ti towed to a local shop and of course they said they cannot read anything. Do you have any ideas as to what happened? The tranny has 132K on it and I double checked all the sensors on the side of the road and nothing fixed it.

Is this something that may be a common fix or do I now have to do a tranny as well?
Sounds like your torque converter took a dump, sorry to hear that.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Rob,
E-Mail me your tel number and I'll call you later today of early Sunday.
Mike

Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, it defintely is the forward pump on the tranny. I ordered a rebuilt one and today I just pulled the old one. Hopefully I can get this thing on the road for more than a couple weeks before another thing breaks. Man that thing is heavy. I will elt all know how it goes.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i think youre right, it is the front pump, i have a question... did you swap the flywheel and flexplate from the 4.0 to the 4.6??? if not then... it will go again if you just change the pump. one of the things that most people leave off from doing this swap is the difference between the engines... the flywheel exactly. the 4.0 has a 12mm spacer between on the flywheel and the 4.6 has only a 4mm spacer, its there because the trans that came in the 4.6 has a bigger torque convertor. what happend to you was your torque convertor has been shoved back 8mm putting a lot of stress on that pump, and ruining its housing. when the trans is out, swap the flywheel, or replace the convertor... either way, make sure to check the ears on the convertor for wear and stress cracks

Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I swapped the ring gear that was on the 4.6 to the 4.0, I did not swap over the plate that has the tone ring though, is that what you are talking about? Can you put in a different torque converter? Unfortunately I am about 980 miles form the other engine when the tranny went out so it will not be that easy to get the other peice off the old engine.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Looking on online I see the different spacers. The flywheel itself is the same but the spacer that attaches to the crank flywheel adapter and then to the flywheel is where the difference is at.

So basically I was pushing the torque converter back into the tranny and caused the stress on the pump. I do not want to do that again. I am going to see if I can find one here locally to do it, or otherwise I will just head home and then come back with it and get it done.

Roverguy7, let me know if there may be anything else that I missed when I did this that may cause a problem. I tried lookng through all the other parts to see if there was anything and I did not see anything that jumped out.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

yes. and a t/c for a 4.0 would do the trick, but they cost about the same as a whole tranny if i recall, at least through rover, and youd still need the front pump... as to the spacer, rover part number for the one you need is FTC4609, assuming i didnt get this backwards, but thats the one that should be on a 4.6.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Got the spacer from a local salvage yard for free. Tonight I got the tranny up an attached, just need to put the exhaust back on and hook up the connectors and I shoul dbe good to go. I am really starting to know this Rover now that I have taken it apart a couple of times.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Got it all fixed, did a 1000 mile test drive too. It seems to be running just fine and hopefully I will not have any more problems in the near future, or at least major ones.

Thanks for all your help guys, I could not have done it without you.