General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vogue 2007 code PO420

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:19 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vogue 2007 code PO420

Hi, and thanks for letting me join.

Had 6 Shoguns in the past, never caused me an issue, all up to about 75k.

Wanted a change in May 2012 and brought a 4.5 year old vogue with 40k on it, paid for that what I normally pay for an 8 moth old Shogun with low miles!

Got called alsorts for moving away from Shoguns, but felt I wanted to give it a go.

Drive and appearence you can not compare, the Vogue wins alround, I would love another and its due for change in 3-4 months but my confidence is dropping!

So far had an electric window regulater go (£170), and an alternator in December 13 (£750!)

Whilst driving last night the orange engine light comes on and stays on, this morning started it up to take to my local garage and the light is still on. Stopped at cash point enroute, restarted her and light was off. Still went to the garage, he actually said dont worry about it then, but I felt I still wanted it checked. Car has done 64k, and is due a service.

He said the code PO420 was not apparent, but was stored. Worst case scenario is the CAT, best case is I wont see the light come on again!

Your thoughts... should I worry?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Guessing this is a 4.4l gas model, but a cat efficiency fault can only be caused by low cat efficiency.

That said, there are several things that can cause cat efficiency to be low, such as burning oil, or incomplete ignition caused by fouled spark plugs, letting too much raw fuel into the exhaust.

On this model, the cats do fail, but more often then not these faults are caused by outside issues.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:19 AM
3rd Gear

Apolagies, this is a diesel

Old 04-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a diesel!
Has the exhaust system been tampered with like hacking out the exhaust filtration system. Seriously I have seen a few on diesel PU's like it and is this vehicle in NA , Europe or the rest of the world with exception of Australia?
Curiosidades
T/V

Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear

Hi, do you mean malicously tempered with? I have certainly not knowingly had it tempered with?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin
Hola y amistades.

The efficiency of a diesel cat works slightly different than a gasoline (Petrol) catalyst.

I am not aware of any diesel LR's of your vehicle's vintage in the US unless its in the country by temporary import or otherwise. Hence I have to conclude you are a contributor from Europe/Australia, or the rest of the world.

The reason I asked if it had been tampered with has validity, since diesels of this year running to Fed spec have level 3 compliance which dictates a cat and "after exhaust" filter capture and regen (de-soot) capabilities.
Later models have what might be called Ad Blue Def systems to lower tail contaminants even further to level 4 plus.

Cat efficiency is measure by an oxygen sensor and thermo couples in the system plus a particulate pressure wave sensor which basically measures the amount of clogging up of the system and once reaching a prescribed level commands re-gen mode (de -soot) through the PCM.

Without knowing the spec of your vehicle and in what territory it is in, its is hard to give you some pointers since factory diesel pollution control devices vary wildly upon territory even with LR's.
T/V