General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 disco not idling/ running right

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:09 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 disco not idling/ running right

Just got a 03 disco 76000 miles.. but the 2nd day i have it the check engine soon light comes on and when i come to a stop its not idling right...it sounds like the engines not firing all the way and kinda making the car shake a little...one mechanic i take it to says its probably the catalytic converter...and another guy at the land rover service says its the spark plugs or spark plug hoses...like i said it runs but its just not getting all the power it should be...any thoughts? thanks...

Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You need a good old fashioned tune up, that means new spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:35 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
You need a good old fashioned tune up, that means new spark plugs and spark plug wires.
Thats what my mechanic said he was gonna do spark plugs, spark plug hoses, and ignition coils...crossing my fingers hoping that works..

Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Coils are probably overkill - do plugs early and often, and the wires should be 8mm high quality. If needed after road test, then the coils.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by smithjonah760
Thats what my mechanic said he was gonna do spark plugs, spark plug hoses, and ignition coils...crossing my fingers hoping that works..
First, stop your mechanic, the chances of you needing cools is very slim.
Don't let your mechanic guess at your expense.
Ask him to pull the fault code numbers and get back to us with them before he does anything.
As for plug wires, they will be needed but you need to make sure he only installs 8mm silicon wires like Magnacor or STI, who much has he quoted you for an estimate?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First, stop your mechanic, the chances of you needing cools is very slim.
Don't let your mechanic guess at your expense.
Ask him to pull the fault code numbers and get back to us with them before he does anything.
As for plug wires, they will be needed but you need to make sure he only installs 8mm silicon wires like Magnacor or STI, who much has he quoted you for an estimate?
well none of that helped they're gonna run a compression test on it tomorrow...but its still misfiring ..spark plugs coils and spark plug hoses all were replaced...dont know the fault codes..i just bought it from the guy about a week ago ..what do u think i should do? how do i know if it needs a new computer?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Hey guys, I had the same problem, even opened new topic here. after replacement of O2 sensors, spark plugs and wires car had the same problem, was idling bad and was misfiring a lot. I took it to official Land Rover service center in Tbilisi, Georgia and they suggested to make compression test. Car is leaking coolant around half of liter per week, even without driving it. Coolant is leaking somewhere between MAF Sensor and Intake Manifold. Mechanic said it might be leaking from block, because pipes seem to be ok. Can it be also cause of misfires and power loss? The car is not overheating and stays all the time at normal level.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ratijs100
Hey guys, I had the same problem, even opened new topic here. after replacement of O2 sensors, spark plugs and wires car had the same problem, was idling bad and was misfiring a lot. I took it to official Land Rover service center in Tbilisi, Georgia and they suggested to make compression test. Car is leaking coolant around half of liter per week, even without driving it. Coolant is leaking somewhere between MAF Sensor and Intake Manifold. Mechanic said it might be leaking from block, because pipes seem to be ok. Can it be also cause of misfires and power loss? The car is not overheating and stays all the time at normal level.
Your throttle body heater is leaking, go to the DII page and read in the write up section.
It is a $25 30min DIY repair.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Different Georgia from mine, if you have to wait on that part you can bypass the in/out small water hose to that area for a short time, but not during cold weather. It heats the throttle plate area, in cold and humid conditions you can have ice buildup, and lock the throttle open.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 AM
Drifting

Thank you for information. I will check if it is the problem and will update

Quick Reply: 03 disco not idling/ running right