General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 Disco clicking sound??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Disco clicking sound??

Hey all, new to the forums as well as LR's! Traded an ML320 on in an certified 04 Disco. Runs great, but when you press the gas you can hear a clicking sound, I would think valve rattle, but this is throttle dependent, so I have no idea! It is also constant, doesn't really slow up or down that much, maybe a little, but really same tick tick tick tick tick when you press the gas. I was thinking maybe something with the accessories, maybe pulleys? I had the mechanic from the dealership ride and he said he didn't hear it, had the salesman then ride with me and he said they all make that sound....soooo.....HOPING these forums are as helpful as my SAAB forums ( I like quirky cars with character obviously!) and someone might have an idea!

I test drove probably 10 different discos and didn't hear it in any other one, so I feel it is sort of the run around. Short of going to a mechanic that is not the dealership (which would probably void the warranty) anyone have any ideas where I might start looking?

ANY and ALL help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

JG

Old 02-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 04 Disco clicking sound??

I would get it back to the dealer and tell them what you are hearing, it could be a cracked exhaust manifold or bad exhaust gasket, bad front drive shaft or lifters, but they should take care of it cause it is not normal.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 04 Disco clicking sound??

Thanks Mike! They called to check on how I liked the LR Family, I kind of "let it all hang out" and said it was not normal, I know that. I have been tracking down whistles, whines, and leaks on my Saab Turbos for the past 4-5 years, THIS clicking is ALOT more audible and NOT normal... I want it fixed.

They said bring it in, they are scheduling some time to track down the problem...they want to make me happy. We'll see. I love that the 140 point inspection for certified missed about 15 of the real checks. From no floormats, to tracks straight, to steering wheel aligned, etc... just want the ticking to stop!!!

BTW, It is only in when it is in gear and under throttle that it makes the sound. Not at idle, or any other time. It dies out as you go faster, but I believe I just can't hear it over the tire noise at that point. Idle is a little rough, although constant, so more lumpy than anything, but always the same rhythm. Guess I will find out soon - still love the truck though, had it on the beach last weekend!