General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 Discovery Alpine intermittent stereo issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 04 Discovery Alpine intermittent stereo issues

Newbie, here on the forum and to LR ownership and have no pictures to post up as of yet. Please excuse me if this is poor etiquette posting my first post with an issue. I am having intermittent stereo issues with the Alpine stereo system in my 04 Discovery II 102,000 miles that I just bought recently. Sometimes all of the speakers work when I start it up and other times only the bottom two front door speakers works. It is really a pretty good sounding stereo system when it works but that is almost never. I can't change anything when it is working, no windows up or down, don't change the volume to max, etc but when I shut off the vehicle and restart, it only play out of the 2 speakers again. Sometimes when I play with the drivers rear window switch running the window up and down in short movements the radio will start to work in all speakers but if I continue to run the window all the way up until it is closed the radio will cut out to 2 speakers again. Then I have to play with the window switch again for awhile until it feels like playing all speakers again.
P.S. I am working on replacing both passenger power door locks. The roof leaks up front either top of the windshield or the sunroof drains. SO while it is parked I cover it with a tarp and thought I would leave the front sunroof open for ventilation in the heat here in AZ and when I went out to take it for a drive a few days later the sunroof no longer feels like working. It has worked flawlessly for over a month and now just sitting there parked it decided to stop working. Seems most all of the things I have read on here are not rumors!!!!
The gremlins are strong within this one!

Thanks in advance for any ideas where to start on the radio. If there is a secret area to look at that may save me going aftermarket I would be grateful as I would like to keep as original as possible. I'm out of state travels for the next week or so but I will figure out how to post my picture and signature information when I get back
THX
DAN
Discovery-ing AZ

Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

One thing that may help is the factory shop manual set, called the RAVE, free download in links below. Contains shop, owners, electrical, and circuits manuals. One thing to look for is ground headers, where several things that lead to ground are joined togther to make the trip on one wire. Can impact several things at once. Wiring diagrams show you all this and have tiny numbers by connectors. Electrical library shows you pix of the location of the connector.

Shop manual also shows how to override sunroof and crank it closed.

Our tech area has write ups on sunroof and other fun projects.

Important info - temp gauge is a liar, it will show dead center 50% and temps can be from 130 - 240F. Usa a scanner to see real temp. A 180F Land Rover stat is available for upgrade. Front drive shaft, if OEM, will split and bash hole in tranny. Rebuild article in our tech area.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the help Buzz, I had already downloaded the manual for the D2 so I have had some initial research alread ydone on my issues. I'm not an electrical expert so it will take me some time to work through the schematics to see if I can figure out my radio issues. Thanks again.
If you happen to know where in the D2 manual it instructs how to override the sunroof so I can close it that would be great since I can't seem to locate any instructions how to do that. I found all of the detail info on how to change out motors and replace other itens in the sunroof area but nothing on manual override. Thanks in advance for any insight on the manual override!
THX
DAN

Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Dan, the is a small access port found by removing a small plastic trim cover, use a allen wrench to close the roof.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 PM
4th Gear

Thanks Mike I will look for it when I return from travel next weekend. I hope to have the willpower and pocketbook to stay a Disco devotee like you and the other seasoned followers on this site!!!!

P.S I want to take all of the old fluids out and replace along with the hoses, belts and thermostat as I have the red Dexcool. I see to use Rotella 15/40 for the engine, is there a better fluid recommendation for the anti freeze, differentials, transmission, transfer case that you can recommend? I appreciate all the preventive suggestions that you gents are providing to us newbies.
THX
DAN
04 Discovery SE basically stock except OME, rock sliders, offroad bumpers and recent Safety Devices roof rack added yesterday! Pic to come soon

Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

85/150 for transfer case and diffs. Green 50/50 antifreeze, flush out any Dexcool (orange/red). The Dexcool when contaminated with air or other coolants tuns into a mud in the bottom of the radiator.