General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1991 Range Rover ABS Pulses when it shouldn't

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Range Rover ABS Pulses when it shouldn't

I need some help. I have so far been through every wire in my abs system with a multimeter, taken the abs pump apart to make sure everything was still functioning, and replaced the accumulator. I have also flushed and bled the entire brake system twice.

The problem started about 3 months ago. The abs system started coming on during normal stopping at any speed and pulsing until I slow to less than 15 mph. There are no fault codes in the abs computer ( I tried the blink method of checking it), and there are no warning lights on. I went through the manual and checked resistances at the abs ECU, and at the master cylinder for everything. Everything checked out well within the specifications described in the manual.

At this point I am at a complete loss of what to do. The only thing I can think of at this point is that the ECU itself is faulty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet the relay is fried.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Drifting
Talking ABS fault

Originally Posted by MrBrooks
I need some help. I have so far been through every wire in my abs system with a multimeter, taken the abs pump apart to make sure everything was still functioning, and replaced the accumulator. I have also flushed and bled the entire brake system twice.

The problem started about 3 months ago. The abs system started coming on during normal stopping at any speed and pulsing until I slow to less than 15 mph. There are no fault codes in the abs computer ( I tried the blink method of checking it), and there are no warning lights on. I went through the manual and checked resistances at the abs ECU, and at the master cylinder for everything. Everything checked out well within the specifications described in the manual.

At this point I am at a complete loss of what to do. The only thing I can think of at this point is that the ECU itself is faulty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Have you checked your wheel speed sensors? One of them has probably backed out a little or you may have a faulty sensor. ibis1

Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 AM
5th Gear

Ok, I have a new more interesting problem. The abs pump is no longer getting power. I have replaced the relays and fuses under the drivers seat. I did notice however that the relay on the right had no voltage across it when the ignition was on. Is there another fuse somewhere else, or is the wire broken somewhere between the battery and the relay?