General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Discovery Stalling alot

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Discovery Stalling alot

1994 Discovery with 158000 on the Odometer.
Have changed Air Filter, Water Pump, Thermostat,
Cleaned PVC, Stepper Motor, TPS, and MAF

Truck would idle rough when warm now
it stalls at red lights and has even cut off on the highway a few times.

Only codes were 45 (O2 sensor right bank)
and Code 19 ..........I also got a check engine light yesterday.

I was able to reset the codes and the lights and it ran better
but it is still stalling when warmed up

HELP!

Also noticed the coolant temp was bouncy yesterday and it started to overheat a little.
IS IT POSESSED?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: 1994 Discovery Stalling alot

Does it start right up after it stalls or do you have to let it sit for a while before it will start up again? Have you cleaned the throttle body and reset base idle? You may have 2 seperate issues here.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Drifting

The truck starts right up after it stalls..... But it got so bad this weekend that I would make it 1000 yards and it would sputter out again. But this was after I was driving most of the day in it From Ft. Lauderdale to Boca and Back roughly 45 min each way at 70mph. On the way back it started the stalling.

I have cleaned the Throttle Body Butterfly with Cleaner.... But I have not reset base idle...
I cleaned the IAC or stepper motor but only by unscrewing it from the housing and not taking the housing off the back of the Motor (The IAC seemed clean itself).

Also I have read I am supposed to unplug it or something to reset it (Never did that with it running) maybe this is what caused this?

This really has me guessing. Last night I drove around locally maybe 5 miles then park then 20 minutes come back out and another5 miles etc. and it did not even sputter once (Go Figure)
I am pretty much a Noob with Rovers... My first and I love it and am willing to work hard but need guidance

I really appreciate the help "D" it sounds like you really know what you are doing already.
Any more ideas on what next?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Overlanding

I think you need to start with finding out what you are losing first. You are either losing fuel or spark. Get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up then tape it to the windshield and see if pressure drops when it dies. If it drops then you need to see if you are losing voltage or ground at the pump. If pressure drops and voltage and ground are good, your fuel pump is bad. Fuel pumps tend to fail when hot.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Today I rolled the dice and drove it to work..... It made it stalling out only once ata red light
Then for the rest of the day no stalls!!!... I put more gas in tonight and everything seems a bit better.... The idle bounced maybe three times all day much better.

Perhaps I got a bad load of gas?... I also in Saturday when I put gas in I used Injector Cleaner STP in the gas tank...perhaps a bad idea?....

This weekend I think I will attemptto change out the fuel filter and test pressure and then report back then we can begin to eliminate the gremlins.

Temperature was a little cooler today though by about 15 degrees in S FLA.....
So who knows..... I am not giving up I will somehow rid the truck of the gremlins.

Here is my new invented saying:

OWNING A LAND ROVER IS ALOT LIKE BEING IN VEGAS..... YOU KEEP THINKING IT WILL TURN AROUND BUT THE CHIPS ARE DOWN AND THE HOUSE (Rover Gods) Always have an edge.

LOVE MY TRUCK!!!! I will report back and thanks D

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Overlanding

We have a saying that all rovers are flex fuel, they are powered by gas or a tow truck.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Mudding

check fuel pressure,also distibutors may be bad,I've seen a few fuel injector rails get clogged and injectors sticking,also make sure you have a good battery,saw a series 1 that had a bad cell in the battery and the car ran like sh$t