General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Disco Series I Wheel Hub Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:56 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Cap, rotor and wires from Rovah Farm.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Disco Series I Wheel Hub Assembly-screen-shot-2016-03-01-7.53.45-am.png   1999 Disco Series I Wheel Hub Assembly-screen-shot-2016-03-01-7.54.36-am.png   1999 Disco Series I Wheel Hub Assembly-screen-shot-2016-03-01-7.53.28-am.png  
Old 03-01-2016, 06:59 AM
TReK

While you're at it, got to http://www.landroverresource.com and download the Discovery manuals. You'll find repair manuals, troubleshooting manuals and even boyd repair manuals.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:00 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I def have a D1 SD...I def know what I have I think the people at tuffy's are confused....lol the hand looks like the one on the right...the white car with flat handle...so when I took the LR to my house the car was super janky and a buddy came over and saw all the grease coming out of the middle of the rims or whatever...he pushed on the side of the car and made it rock and it was clanking...he said "your bearings are bad but they aren't very expensive"...so then I talked to my one buddy and he said something around the lines of "replacing the bearings can get really hard you may just wanna replace the whole mechanism...and that's where I'm at right now....here is a pick just went and shot

Old 03-01-2016, 07:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
See that's what I need for sure is the manuals and stuff thanks a lot...damn yeah I already ordered my plugs and wires and stuff now as for the bearing kits should I return the assembly's I bought and get that bearing kit?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 AM
Drifting

Cap, rotor and wires from Rovah Farm.
I'm so confused so I do need a rotor and cap for my 1999 disco 1 SD?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Figured I would just pull this one ovee here

Tonyfnb, are you in the US or somewhere else in the world? I know you said you were looking on the Rockauto website but that doesn't necessarily mean you're in the US. I ask because other parts of the world never saw the GEMS fuel injection system that was in the US DI models from 1996-1999. In your profile, there's a way for you to enter your location so people offering advice don't have to guess where you are. Look at Drowssap's posts and you'll see he's in Boston, I'm in CT. It can really help people offering advice.

Now, if, in fact you are in the US, run, don't walk away from the mechanic that told you you have a distributor. As Drowssap said, you have a distributorless ignition system. The fuel injection system you should have in your vehicle is called GEMS and stands for Generic Engine Management System. It was the first OBDII fuel injection system Rover offered. It was mandated by US regulations. Other parts of the world did not require OBDII compliance until years later. That's why I say that some parts of the work never even saw GEMS. They went straight from the older Lucas 14CUX fuel injection system (OBDI compliant AND using a distributor) to the Bosch (OBDII distributorless) system.
Hey! Thanks so much for the information like I said I know nothing about this stuff...I know basic oil change...or how to watch YouTube and do some basic'ish stuff...I am in South Carolina...I will for sure update my profile like you said! Never even thought about these vehicles being all over the world...yeah the mechanic at tuffy's has CAP & ROTOR $119.00 on my list of stuff to do...

Maybe I should ask you seems how you seem to know your stuff..obviously now I'm doing my own stuff...I ordered some wires and plugs...I had to change my fuel pump so I ordere a fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, oil....if I'm wanting to do a tune up myself what else should I worry about cleaning/buying? It has under the "wires and plugs" adjust ignition timing & adjust curb idle speed should I worry about that?

Also I have a $100 "3 part fuel system cleaning" my buddy said that is dumb and not to worry about it? Is this true? Like I said I did replace my pump and filter soon...also when I got this off the side of my parents house I filled it up and put 2 fuel thingies in it from advanced...like octabe booster and something else or whatever

Thanks...jeez that's a book and I still have to reply to ur other message lol...might as well just fly you out

Old 03-01-2016, 07:19 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Tonyfnb
I'm so confused so I do need a rotor and cap for my 1999 disco 1 SD?
I just posted that because I still wasn't convinced you knew what model or year you have. Also, I posted it to show you how relatively inexpensive the parts for these trucks can be.

If you have a '99 DI you have the GEMS injection system and do not need a rotor or cap. The only parts, outside the sensors that make up GEMS are the ignition wires. Over time coils in the coil pack may go bad but you would get codes.

Next big question, do you have any kind of code reader so you can access information about your engine and retrieve fault codes?

Are the "three amigos" light on your instrument binnacle. The ABS light, SRS light and Check Engine light are commonly on these older trucks. To diagnose anything you'll need a good code reader, preferably one that can provide data in realtime.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:21 AM
TReK

"Also I have a $100 "3 part fuel system cleaning" my buddy said that is dumb and not to worry about it? Is this true? Like I said I did replace my pump and filter soon...also when I got this off the side of my parents house I filled it up and put 2 fuel thingies in it from advanced...like octabe booster and something else or whatever"

Get to the basics before you start playing with additives and cleaners.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Drifting

I just posted that because I still wasn't convinced you knew what model or year you have. Also, I posted it to show you how relatively inexpensive the parts for these trucks can be.

If you have a '99 DI you have the GEMS injection system and do not need a rotor or cap. The only parts, outside the sensors that make up GEMS are the ignition wires. Over time coils in the coil pack may go bad but you would get codes.

Next big question, do you have any kind of code reader so you can access information about your engine and retrieve fault codes?

Are the "three amigos" light on your instrument binnacle. The ABS light, SRS light and Check Engine light are commonly on these older trucks. To diagnose anything you'll need a good code reader, preferably one that can provide data in realtime.
yeah my dad actually just bought a code reader for his Chevy HD3500 so i should be able to use that one..it was expensive so i imagine its a good one....

"Also I have a $100 "3 part fuel system cleaning" my buddy said that is dumb and not to worry about it? Is this true? Like I said I did replace my pump and filter soon...also when I got this off the side of my parents house I filled it up and put 2 fuel thingies in it from advanced...like octabe booster and something else or whatever"

Get to the basics before you start playing with additives and cleaners.
lol ok...when i set this thing on the side of my parents house a while back ago everything worked...now its like everything has gone to hell....

Old 03-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Drifting

So went and picked up the parts I was talking about...this is what they gave me

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Disco Series I Wheel Hub Assembly-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: 1999 Disco Series I Wheel Hub Assembly