General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Range Rover HSE Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Range Rover HSE Overheating

Hey guys, I'm having an overheating problem on my 2000 Range Rover HSE. It's the 4.6l with a v8. I was driving down the interstate when my belt broke, I pulled over as soon as I could and changed the belt and everything was fine for a few days, but on my next trip on the interstate it started overheating again. Now it will overheat after running at idle for ten minutes or so, and at slow speeds very quickly. I replaced the thermostat and bled the air from the lines. The coolant in the expansion tank starts to bubble very quickly after start and if I remove the cap, coolant boils out. Something I just noticed was that the heater will not blow hot air, living in Florida this is something that I don't know happened before the overheating or after. The ac works fine and the fan seems to be turning just fine. There are no visible coolant leaks in the system. I've had it parked for a couple months now waiting to get some time to work on it, and when I started it up there was light colored smoke coming out of the exhaust but that dissipated after awhile. Before I take it to the shop, I was hoping someone had some insight on what it might be and maybe some troubleshooting tips to eliminate a few possibilities. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Head gasket. Check your plugs for evidence of steam cleaning, but from the description of the boiling tank and white smoke from the exhaust, it sounds like a head gasket. You can also pressure test the cooling system or get a test kit to check the coolant for evidence of combustion gases.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Get the shop manual out and double check the belt route for the serpantine belt. If the belt route is wrong, fan is not cooling at low speed or idle. And waterpump could be running bass ackwardz. A paper towel should be sucked against the grille, not blown away