General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

(2001, DII) Red brake light will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (2001, DII) Red brake light will not turn off

Re: 2001 Disco II, 156K miles

Hello,

Last Wednesday (02-June) I had to have the car towed because I has a coolant leak (broken coolant reservoir). It was fixed and the car runs fine now.

The car was towed with a platform, as it should be, but when the tower lowered the car, he did not use the winch, he just let the car go backwards using gravity and it seemed like the impact was quite string when it came off the platform. While in the platform, the parking brake was on, but once it came off the platform, the red brake light stayed on and it has not gone off. The mechanic told me to give it some time, and see if it comes off, but it has been almost a week and it’s still on.

Any comments? Could the towing have damaged something in the suspension or the braking system? There is no change in performance, it’s just the light that stays on.

C

Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Overlanding

these should only come on for low brake fluid level or when the park brake is set...i have however seen these come on with the 3 amigo lights(abs,tc,hdc) when a brake light switch plausible code sets in the abs ecu--this means you need the updated brake switch and link harness

if the park brake handle is not turning the light off then you may have a fault switch at the bas of the handle

Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Drifting
Default Re: (2001, DII) Red brake light will not turn off

Luke,

Good info. There's enough brake fluid, and the parking brake is fully released. The 3 amigos are also on, I didn't mention it becuase they always come on. But since the towing I get the 3 amigos + the brake light.

Is the fault switch at the base of the handle easy to replace?

Or does it really make a difference? I've always had the 3 amigos, so another light won't matter...

Carl

Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Overlanding

there are 2 brake switches --one is for the park brake in the center console and the other is the one on the brake pedal which i think is your problem --you should have someone help you check your exterior brake lights(with key on) --if your outisde lights are not coming on you need to replace the brake light switch on your brake pedal --the old style switches are all black or black and grey --the newest are roundish and have an adapter harness plugged into them(ford type)