General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Disco II - gear-like noise when slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Disco II - gear-like noise when slowing down

I have a 2001 Disco II and it suddenly starting making a sound when slowing down like gears or a spline whirring metal on metal as I roll to a stop. It does not make the noise under acceleration and is most noticable at around 20 mph down to a stop. If you accelerate or put it under a load at these speeds the noise disappears and it doesn't matter whether the transmission is in neutral or drive. It also seems to be less noticable at first but the more it's driven, the more prominent it becomes.

I lifted the vehicle on a jack and checked the front wheels. They seem tight with no bearing play. I also checked the front universal joint and it seems tight but that doesn't really mean anything in my book. The 4-wheel drive also seems to work okay, albeit difficult to shift in and out but it's been that way since I bought it. I have no way at this point to raise all wheels in order to listen for the noise while it's in the air. I checked the lube in the front axle and it seems full, although the oil seems a great deal thinner than what I would have expected for differential fluid. I did notice that ever since I purchased it, the driveline would make a small "clunk" sound when decelerating as it changed gears, almost like the differential was loose or something. Not a bad or loud sound, just enough to cause the driveshaft to make the ping noise when it happened. The U joints seemed tight when testing them, so I never worried about it much.

As I said, the noise definitely sounds like gears making noise where the teeth join and it's difficult to tell precisely where the noise is originating, but somewhere about midline forward of the floorboard. I know that doesn't help much. It also happened rather suddenly. One day it wasn't there and the next morning on the way to work, I noticed it as I pulled up to stop in the parking lot. I also have no way to check the transmission fluid because it appears to be a closed system.

Any ideas about what to check and whether this sounds serious? Any common problems among Discos like this?

thanks

Russell

Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Send me your tele number and I'll call you back.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Default UPDATE ******Gear-like noise when slowing down

Mike -

Okay, pursuant to our telephone discussion, I removed the front shaft and using a 10mm wrench, turned the nipple on the transfer case clockwise about 45 degrees until it stopped.

THE NOISE IS GONE.

So, I'm assuming that it's something to do with either the front u-joints or my transfer case. With regard to the front shaft, the very most forward u-joint has a grease fitting but the back two joints do not. So I'm assuming that the front joint was possibly replaced at some point, but why they didn't just replace them all is beyond me. And, as an added bonus, one of the nuts on the front side of the shaft had been stripped until almost perfectly round on the outside. Whoever stripped the hex decided that it must therefore be tightened to beyond the capacity to remove it. So, after an hour with vice grips and the proper wrench on the other end, I was able to finally remove it. I suppose I should tighten it even more when I put that same nut back on Go figure.

Sooooo, now I know that I need to replace all the u-joints in the shaft and I'm also going to replace the rear joint as well. As for the grinding noise, I suppose I need to get the new joints it, re-install the shafts and take it for a drive, but before doing so, I think I need to at least check the fluid levels in the transfer case. I'm embarrassed to ask, but how do I do that and what else should I check to inspect prior to re-installling the drive shafts?

thanks again for all your help Mike!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You need to have a qualified mechanic rebuild your drive shaft, installing 2 new serviveable u-joints and a centering ball kit, parts and labor will be around $250. Try and find either a drive line shop, tranny shop or mechanic who knows how to rebuild that double cardon housing, don't go to the dealer cause they will only try and sell you a new one for $800 installed.
By the way, if you aren't doing it, grease both drive shafts twice a year.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Update

Mike,

Just wanted to provide you with an update. As you recall, I pulled the front drive shaft and the noise stopped. I brought the Rover to a shop to be looked at and the centering ball on the shaft was frozen solid. He couldn't move it. I located a Land Rover shop in Flintstone Georgia called Toddco Specialities. He is rebuilding the shaft for $175 and it includes the grease fitting type joints, new centering ball and rebalance, as well as shipping costs. I thought it was an extremely fair price. He also said that he could sell me a rear shaft that was converted to u-joint from flex-shaft for $150. I don't know it that's a good thing or not but he seems to deal strictly in Rovers.

Meanwhile, I'm having the garage where I brought the Rover change out the transmission filter and fluid, gaskets etc, flush and exchange the transfer case fluid, both differentials and I had the brake rotors and pads changed as well. Since I had not done much preventative maintenance to it since purchasing it, I figured that it was worth the money to have all of this work performed at once so I could better maintain it from this point forward.

The fellow at the shop said he felt certain that the centering ball was responsible for the noise, so many thanks to you for your guidance so far.

Best regards,

Russell