Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slowing the RUST!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slowing the RUST!

I've had my '97 D1 for going on 11 years. It has never been a garage queen, and rust is beginning to show up in a few locations including rear door jambs, top of rear bumper, and rear auxiliary step so far. Who knows what I might find if I start really looking, and I admit I'm a little surprised it is this extensive this soon given this has always been a Virginia car. At this point the vehicle is so reliable and because it's worth more to me than anyone else, we plan to keep it. I'd like to at least slow if not stop the rust before it becomes an issue cosmetically or structurally.

I am toying with the notion of running the vehicle up to New England to let the pros at Robison in MA have a go at it with the Waxoyl products they use. Should run about $700.00 plus expenses. I believe the process involves cleaning and neutralization of the existing corrosion then appplication of a rust preventative throughout. I could order the products from Rover's North and try to apply it myself, but these guys know the vehicles inside out, which is critical if you're trying to stop and prevent rust.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on this issue?

Old 11-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Slowing the RUST!

In the UK they always use Waxoyl when a refurb is done, but

Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You may want to talk with them and see if some of the rust should be cut out and metal replaced before you seal it. Take some time and go under the truck with a flash light checking all the floor area and if you see anything of question, you better plan on pull your carpet, may find some bad news under there.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Mudding

The visible rust at this point is very minor, but you have to wonder about iceberg syndrome. For this cancer, I don't think surgery is necessary, chemo should work particularly given the patient only needs to live another 5 or 6 years.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Waxoyl is the weapon of choice in the UK to prevent rust on cars. If they use salt in VA in the winter time (which I expect they do) then you're pretty lucky the rust is as small as it is. Rovers have always been bad for rusting quickly ever since I can remember as a kid growing up in the UK. That's why when I found this 5spd D1 I jumped on it as it's spotless as far as rust is concerned. It was well maintained and it's spend 95% of it's life in Texas. The first few I looked at had come from the NE and had lost about 100lb of sheet metal due to rust.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Mudding

New concept we can borrow from BMW.... a D1 Lightweight. As long as it isn't losing weight in the wrong places. This also means you no longer need to buy a lift kit. It simply happens over time as metal oxidizes and falls to the ground. The trick is the lift happens so long as rust occurs faster than the OEM springs fatigue. Better fuel economy, too. Wow! Who would have thought there would be so many silver linings in a rusty cloud.