General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 Discovery II loosing small amounts of Anti Freeze. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was and now leaking again. ugh. It's in the shop, driving a rental. :-(

Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

It could be something as simple as a $30 throttle body heater

Old 05-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another quick test for blown HG you can try is pulling and inspecting your spark plugs. Check the electrodes they should all look about the same (dark and dirty). If you find one that is super clean (like in steamed clean) then it's the HG. Also have you ever had the sound of water rushing coming from inside your dash while driving that is a sure sign of leaking HG. You should stop driving the truck until you can pressure test the system.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:44 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Coolant Vanishing like Harry Houdini!

)
Originally Posted by scootch61
Another quick test for blown HG you can try is pulling and inspecting your spark plugs. Check the electrodes they should all look about the same (dark and dirty). If you find one that is super clean (like in steamed clean) then it's the HG. Also have you ever had the sound of water rushing coming from inside your dash while driving that is a sure sign of leaking HG. You should stop driving the truck until you can pressure test the system.
Vehicle: 2000 Land Rover Discovery II 4.0

I've been having a huge problem with my antifreeze disappearing from a full tank to an empty tank after about 20min of driving. I have heard the gurgling sound along with the rushing water sound from inside the dash. Sounds like it's in the middle of the dash and more to the passenger's side. So what you are saying is that if I hear that sound, it's caused by a blown head gasket? I've pressure tested it and the needle didn't move. I've replaced the thermostat, replaced the radiator, replaced the hoses, replaced the water pump. I don't know what else to do. I tried to have this fixed before my daughter went to college. I even drove it onto ramps and bleed the cooling system and put in a new coolant overflow tank (in which after driving it I could hear a low hissing from the inside pressure). With the old overflow tank the coolant was sometimey. Sometimes it would stay on level and sometimes it would disappear and sometimes it would go very low and after driving it again after it cooled the coolant would go back to the full level. So, after changing the overflow tank and driving up the ramp and bleeding the cooling system, the rushing water and gurgling sound stopped BUT the coolant disappeared very quickly. My daughter drove it to campus which is about a 30 to 40min drive. She said the Temp gauge stayed in middle and it did not run hot. I refilled it and tested it and she was correct but the coolant disappeared. I started using dex-cool then I kept finding mixed reviews about that so I bout the Red stuff made for that car from auto zone (I don't recall the name of it but it cost $19.99) After using that a lot I stopped putting it in because it was costing too much $$. Now I running the PEAKE Green. I'm so disappointed after months of trying to get this car in good shape for my daughter, NOTHING has changed. I'll be going to pick it up from the campus this week. I've read many post here but noting has helped me with the cooling problem. I also took it to my mechanic who did the pressure test, water pump and radiator. He said it's not the head gasket, the oil is clear and not milky, there is no white smoke coming from the tail pipe. The speak plugs were ok but the one in the far back on the driver's side was full of carbon but there was no liquid in there. He plugged a meter onto the car and got a evap error and something about the Sixth cylinder misfire (I forgot his term but misfire may not be the same word he used). Does this sound familiar to anyone who can help guide me on fixing this vehicle.
Thank you in advance.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:53 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You might get more responses by posting this in the D2 section.

Odd indeed if your coolant is disappearing... But not going onto the ground and your oil is not milky? If that is all true then it may be going into cyl 6 and burning up but if that were the case you would be running rough and getting a flashing CEL.

Good luck!