General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Disco II ABS Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:06 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Disco II ABS Modulator

I have been some what skeptical of the service dept. at my local LR dealer. It seems that every time I have a trouble light come on, the dealer is always uable to reset the computer and in every case, needs to replace parts rather than resetting codes.
My latest issue is with theABS modulator which of course needs to be completely replaced for a nominal fee of $3100.00 according to the dealer. The ABS, BRAKE, Traction Control, and Down Hill Decent lights are all illuminated on the dash.

With only 53K miles on the vehichle, I'm having a hard time that this is the only option to take care of this issue. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with this component??
Should I get a second opinion from an independant service shop???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Disco II ABS Modulator

Send me your tele number and I'll call you regarding your ABS.
Mike

Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 AM
4wd Low

I also have this problem and was wondering if you could help me out to.

Will

Old 04-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Drifting

well...im not being a dick but...im having a hard time figuring out how your able to fix all these problems over the phone....abs modulator failure is very common on these...usually its the shuttle valves that go and then the modulator....the modulator is about 2100 bucks...get it and install it your self very easy...install it bleed it at the modulator and your done...mosy likely going to fix your problem......

Old 04-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling

The ABS modulator is NOT $3000, or $2000... Check around you can find it for far cheaper. I'm tired of dealerships and shops trying to bend everyone over.

I have 55k on my '03 and the indy shop claims I need a new modulator as well, and yes they quoted me $2k. How many other cars have the abs fail endemically as such low mileage without a recall?

Edited to remove reference to company which has recently screwed me.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Overlanding

My '03 was in and out of the shop for a month because they first "rebuilt" it, then they finally replaced it because the problem persisted. Then I had go back again to get thesome kind of electrical boar replaced that controlled the braking system (according to the dealer). All in all it cost the warranty company about $4500.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

For all of you that have your Trio on, if you stop hard, does your ABS activate?
If so then we should talk about options. My lights come on twice a year and stay on till I bump into a friend with an AutoLogic scanner. He reads the codes, which are never the same, clears them never replacing any parts and this has been going on for 4 years now.
Now I am not saying your trucks may have the same experience but I would make a suggestion, check clean and reposition your speed sensors, don't run pads that cause dust or squeak then have your codes read and cleared by an independent shop, not a dealer who won't do it, and then go drive. You may find like I have that they won't come back on again and maybe they will. If it is the same code, then you will be looking a a part.
By the way, ABS units hate burned brake fluid, so go change yours, it might help.
Mike

Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 AM
4wd Low

I was reading something about the P1590 ABS code being linked to a missfire. alldata.com say "The SLABS/ABS control module transmits a PWM signal indicating rough road for missfire detection disablement. There are three plausibility checks of the PWM signal during which a fault is detected if:
1. The PWM signal is greater than a threshold indicating an electrical short to battery positive.
2. The PWM siginal is less than a threshold indicating an electrical short to ground.
3. The PWM signal is greater than 44.92% but less than 55.08% indicating an error with the SLABS/ABS control module." So could my ABS, TCS,Brake and Hill Decent light's be on because of my bad Plug Wires????

Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Three Wheeling

No, that is saying that your amigos may trigger based solely on a rough road code (unless your plug wires are shorting to ground).

The rough road fault will show up in SLABS as "FAULT 31 ROUGH ROAD SIGNAL".

Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: wardolb

well...im not being a dick but...im having a hard time figuring out how your able to fix all these problems over the phone....abs modulator failure is very common on these...usually its the shuttle valves that go and then the modulator....the modulator is about 2100 bucks...get it and install it your self very easy...install it bleed it at the modulator and your done...mosy likely going to fix your problem......
For all it is worth, I don't fix any thing over the phone, what I try and do is get more information and point a person in a certain direction based on what comes out in our talk.
Most shops and mechanics don't test and repair anymore, they write you up and then give you an estimate to replace parts, parts that are not always bad or the issue.
I like to give people options and ideas before they go out an send their money on something advised to them by their mechanic.
So as for my wanting to talk to people to help them, I don't think you will find too many of our web site members that will tell you I have given them bad information.
Mike