General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Disco misfires then dies

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Disco misfires then dies

My wifes 2003 Discovery died on the road and would not start for a little while after. I drove it around and it did fine. I left for work and it died on her again. I just had it running while I kept eye on it and finally it seemed to misfire and almost die then it run good again and misfired stalled died and would not start. M and S lights started flashing?? Any ideas?
I do not have code reader and realy can not afford to pay Land Rover any help would be great.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Bad battery can make M&S come on, try to enter limp home mode, etc.

If you can get to run, a car parts store can read codes for free. You want to write down the numbers, their generic code reader may not have exact Rover issue.

Cam Shaft Position sensor is also a likely thing to examine, it is heat sensitive when starting to fail.

Crank position sensor is also another thing to check.

But without a code reader, you'l be throwing money at a moving target.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

First have the battery and alternator tested, any autoparts store will do that for free.
But my bet is on the crank position sensor being bad.
That is a $65 DIY.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 PM
4wd Low

Thanks the for info I am used turning wreches on old BMW 2002s The battery is three months old and it tries to start but seems not be getting spark after it shuts down. Also there is some type of electronic ringer that goes off when I am tuning it over and it is not wanting to start.

I let it ildle for awhile and then is starts to miss and then will die not to start again until it sits for 5 to 20 minutes.

Cam Shaft Position sensor where is it located? Also is it dealer item? How hard is it to replace?

Crank position sensor where is this located? Also is it dealer item? How hard is it to replace?

Thanks for any help.

Duke

Last edited by NutnBut02s; 11-27-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Team Owner

With that added info it is the crank position sensor.
Most parts can be had locally at your autoparts store, like the crank sensor.
Other wise Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories has everything you need, and if you cant find it on their site call them, they have it, whatever it is.
Go to the write up section in the DII section, there is a how to on replacing the crank sensor.
It is located at the 3o'clock position on the back of the engine, it controls spark, when it fails you wont have spark.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for info. I found write up and Disco is up on stands now. I am hoping to get our lovely Disco back on the road today. It has seven seats and my 2002 only has 4. That is a big problem on carpool day
I have ordered form BA and have great service and parts from them.
I am glad I found this site it will be very usefull going forward, this is my second Disco and my wife loves them and I need to keep it going.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

You came to the right place. Please post your results so that others may learn.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:22 PM
4wd Low

Bolts that hold sensor on were very loose, would this cause issue I was having?
Now the million dollar question do I need to install new one? it was $119 from BAP the only parts house that had one I could get today.

Never mind just did same thing as before so I am going to finish installing new one and see what happens.

I will update when I see the outcome

Thanks,

Duke

Last edited by NutnBut02s; 11-27-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Yes it being loose could cause that problem.
I would hold off on installing the new one until you tighten the old and drive for a day or so.

But then again the crank sensor is a GUARANTEED to fail item and you already have the truck up on stands...

Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a few pages from the RAVE manual on that. We had a member that had all kinds of grief because when re-assembled he had somehow reversed the shims under the unit, it does not take much to be off.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 crank sensor.PDF (592.1 KB, 113 views)

Quick Reply: 2003 Disco misfires then dies