General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2004 Disco or 2001 Range Rover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Disco or 2001 Range Rover?

Hi All,
I've had used 4x4's for several years, Nissan, Toyota and until most recentlya 2nd hand2001Disco II.I drove it to well over 200,000 km,maintained it well,howeverlots of things started to go wrong at once, head gasket leaking coolant, engine oil leaks, vibration from drivetrain/bearings, pads rotorsetc. I was used to not being able to leave the dealership without a $2000 bill, however this time the dealer wantedover $8k to fix it, so I decided it was time to trade it in.
Foolishly, Iwent away from 4x4 & bought a VW dieseland am now regretting it. VW 2wd is not designed for Eastern Canadian winters, No matter what rubber you put on the wheels! I'll keep the VW as a summer car, but really need a 4x4 for winter here.
So I'm back looking at another LR as of all the 4x4's I've driven, it was certainly the most fun. This time it won't be my every day car, I intend to 'Tonka-ize" it a bit, swap out the front bumper, install a winch etc. The idea of converting it to Diesel and Manual transmission at some point, but I still want the other creaturecomforts.
I've spoken to several LR nuts I know in the UK and the Defender has a cult following all of its own, however getting one over here is next to impossible, I'd have to import one either from the US or UK and from what I hear, they're draughty as hell. Not good for Canadian winters. Also, I'm really not interested in all the paperwork or Custome BS, so I'm down to whats available here in my purchase budget around $15k, either another Disco or little older Range Rover.
I've owned & driven the Disco, was very happy with it except the maintenancecost but this time I plan to do much of the maintenance myself.Converting it to Diesel/Manual will resolve many of the engine drivetrain issue I've experienced before. Having said thatI'm also considering the Range Rover, partly because of the gadgets but also the 'prestige' factor, but from what I've read they're more problematic than the Disco's.

What I need to know is:
1) Which is easier to convert to Diesel & Manual? How much of a power difference will I notice? (any engine swap suggestions welcome)

2) Is the Range Rover air suspension as problematic I've heard? I don't want to knowingly buy problems.

3) How do they compare off road?

4) Is one generally more reliable than the other?

5) What other major issue's do I need to consider?

Any comments welcome.

Thanks