General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 disco oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013 | 07:50 PM
|
Drifting
Default 2004 disco oil leak

Hi all,
Posting a question about my newly purchased 2004 discovery HSE... This is my second rover, first is. 2002 range rover with 150,000 miles, thanks in large part to help I've received on this site!
Anyway I have an oil leak (surprise, surprise, right?) that seems to be dripping down onto the front driveshaft (and then spinning off everywhere) the top of the motor is dry, no oil visibly coming from the valve cover gaskets. On my '02 they were extremely loose and pouring oil.
I have been doing some reading on valley pan gasket and starting to wonder if that's the issue??? Also there is a TINY bit leaking out of the bottom of the front of the motor - a small drip forms on the oil filter... Can't imagine the two are related, but who knows.
I've checked the valve cover breathers, and they are clean. Also, from everything I can see, the "top" of the motor (down to below the head gaskets and exhaust) seems to be bone dry.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I just can't seem to pin this thing down.
Oh just did a seafoam induction, changed the oil with rotella 15-40, mobil1 301 filter, and added a pint of Lucas oil stop leak as well, then drove about 200 miles on a trip, no significant change in the leak one way or the other. (At least it didn't get worse!!! )
Regards,
Brian

Old 08-10-2013 | 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

The valley has a rubber oil end seal fore and aft, with a metal lip that is held down in center by one bolt. Much easier to see in front, but there is a rear one also. Perhaps snug up. Also, VC can leak at top and run around the edge.

Old 08-10-2013 | 08:17 PM
|
Drifting

Hi Savannah - thank you for the reply!!! You helped me with my misfire issue on my P38! I sure do appreciate the help. Quick question, so I should be able to see te bolts which hold the manifold down? Is that what I should be looking for? And then regarding the valve covers, basically you're saying that they may be leaking even though I can't see it? So they would be potentially leaking on the "inside" where the intake manifs, etc, is?
Hey thanks a million again for your help, I truly appreciate it.
B

Old 08-10-2013 | 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

THis metal lip is affixed to the front and end of the valley pan, with a bolt at 18 newton meters, but double check that. It is a 5/16th bolt, so can't take a lot of torque. Under the valley pan is a rubber "saddle" end seal gasket that stradles the end of the valley. They get old and dry out, just like the VC gaskets. The metal plate goes on top of the valley, with bolt in that open hole shown.

My VC was leaking at the top, coming around the intake, and down to form a little pool on top of the front cover. It also puddled up around two intake bolts.

An inspection mirror may help you look under the valley.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 disco oil leak-p1130485.jpg   2004 disco oil leak-p1130488.jpg   2004 disco oil leak-p1130375.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-10-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2013 | 09:13 PM
|
Drifting

Hey man, first of all, thank you AGAIN for the reply... Pictures and everything(!) i really appreciate the help!
I looked at the motor again and I can see what you're talking about up front. I think I might be able to get a wrench on that one. As for the back, I know your pics were with the intake off... Hate to keep bugging you, but are you aware if its even possible to get to the back one without taking everything off? Not opposed to doing so, but as this is the wife's truck, would prefer to keep it "in service" rather than torn apart.
Thank you again for your help, your advice is invaluable, and has saved me lots of time and dollars.
Regards,
Brian

Old 08-11-2013 | 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

It would be down by the coil packs, use a mirror and see if you can find a path for a long extension.

BTW - you may not be aware that this engine was built by Buick, in the early 60's, and among other things was in the first production US car with a turbo, the F-85.

Old 08-12-2013 | 08:20 AM
|
Drifting

OK I'll try to rig something up and get those tightened, wasn't really looking forward to removing everything and replacing that gasket. I got a really good deal on the truck, and was actually thinking maybe I'd just sell it instead of tearing all that apart!
I had no idea, in the early 60's(!) That's wild..> just goes to show that fundamentally not much changes with respect to a motor, huh? The engine compartments weren't quite as packed with electrical and pollution stuff back then I bet though!
Thanks again Savannah, really appreciate the help!
-B

Old 08-12-2013 | 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Being a Buick guy I knew you would like that. My high school car was a 52 Roadmaster with a straight 8...

This is the turbo that went on our motors, it used the carb intake.....

Old 08-14-2013 | 11:58 AM
|
Drifting

WOW that's wild. Looks like it weighs about 900 lbs
I saw an early 50's roadmaster for sale recently... really bad shape - just my style (and price range) - I would love to have one of those with the straight eight, but I have positively no more space for anything...

Old 08-15-2013 | 03:42 PM
4wd High

It has to leak oil! If it's not, then you're A) out of oil or B) fix it until it drips oil! Just kidding, but I think Savannah nailed it! Had the same issue on a friend's '03 DII and the poor guy asked why his driveshaft was leaking oil... hahaha.

Quick Reply: 2004 disco oil leak