General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 disco oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just circling back around to give an update on this leaking Discovery issue. So I finally got around to removing the upper intake in order to change the plug wires, and while I had everything apart I decided to remove and clean the oil separator from the passenger side valve cover. It was COMPLETELY clogged with gunk, and I actually had to drill it out to get it out of the little metal pipe, cause it was totally stuck. Anyway, ordered a new one, installed it, hooked everything back up, and NO MORE LEAKING OIL! I couldn't believe it, I actually had to check to make sure there was still oil in it! I couldn't believe that much oil was being forced out of the motor somewhere just because the little plug in the valve cover was clogged.
Just as a follow up question - Anyone have any ideas WHERE all that oil was coming from? I checked the back of the valley pan gasket when I had the upper intake off, and didn't really see any oil there... everything was pretty tight and dry. But all that oil had to come from somewhere! I guess being under pressure it was really squirting out, but it was losing a LOT of oil previously, and now not a drop. I only ask because I am wondering if some damage was done to whatever gasket the oil was spraying out of previously. But I suppose maybe this is a time when I should just count my blessings and enjoy a leak-free truck (for however long that lasts)
Anyway, thanks to all, especially Savannah Buzz - I really appreciate the time and assistance.
-Murph