General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 Range Rover - Nav Won't Boot - No Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 Range Rover - Nav Won't Boot - No Stereo

I bought a 2006 Range Rover HSE last week... today marks one week - go figure. Yesterday I washed the car and the radio and nav worked fine. This morning however, when I started the car the music was going in and out - it would come on for few seconds then shutoff - it certainly wasn't normal behavior, but the unit was running and I could push buttons, change settings, etc.

I did some reading and found out that it was possible the bluetooth module or one of the other components had taken on some water from a leak. I read several posts and people mentioned they had this problem and had to remove the Bluetooth module and either clean it or replace it.

I figured I would try cleaning it - or at least checking to see if water was even there. Originally when looking I didn't see any water. It wasn't until I removed the Bluetooth module that I saw water between the plastic and the metal. I also found signs water had been inside the unit at some point. There is colorization inside on some metal pieces and parts of the circuit board. It isn't awful but it's definitely been wet at least once. There was a bit of colorization on the pins that connect the cables too.

I cleaned the unit inside and out with electronics cleaner. Then, I put everything back together and went to start the car... now the Land Rover logo comes up and the power light flashes orange but nothing else happens. The NAV and Stereo never turn on.

So, now the question is - is the Bluetooth unit shot or did I manage to break something else? The Fibre optic cable going to the Bluetooth unit is lit up - I am assuming that means the component before the Bluetooth module is working.

How can I best determine what module is faulty?

Can anyone else who's experience this problem shed some light on the fix? I am weary of buying a $300+ Bluetooth module on eBay for fear that it may not actually be bad. Perhaps there is another part that is damaged instead, or as well?

My wife is mad that after only one week there are issues with the car. I am trying to figure out how to best go about troubleshooting and repairing/replacing the faulty part but I don't know what to try next...

I can try removing the NAV unit but will need guidance getting to it and removing it - I think I can see it when I open the door but I don't know how to remove it.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Damn, I wrote a nice long post, and it failed to load...
anyway, don't worry about the NAV ECU, it isn't your problem, but you may want to dry up any water that is on it. Your issue is that the MOST ring is down. The MOST is the fiber optic bus that controls everything audio. Most likely the bluetooth module is shot, but may be worth checking the connections, both electrical and fiber. You will either need to replace or bypass the module. Since the MOST is a ring, you can essentially just hook up the input and output sides of the fiber to each other, and your system will come back on. You obviously would not have bluetooth with it bypassed, but the rest of the system should come back.

Land Rover's answer to the water ingress back there was a plastic sheet that goes behind the electronics and keeps the water off. There are a few different places the water can come in from, but the plastic usually works, as you're open to the outside down below, so the water comes in and goes right out.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM
4wd Low
Talking

Thanks for your in-depth answer. You were right - the Bluetooth module was shot. It appears it was power cycling early on, thus the reason why the audio would go on and off. Once I took it apart to clean it and put it together is when it finally went out completely.

I was able to bypass the Bluetooth module (don't use it and don't really care to) by doing as you said - directing the light from the fibre cable into the other cable. As a "permanent" solution I went and got a very short length of the black plastic tubing for drip-based sprinklers. I inserted both of the fibre ends into the tube and it worked! Very happy with that. I was getting very nervous about spending thousands of dollars after reading others experiences having just paid quite a bit for the truck.

As far as the plastic is concerned it doesn't appear a large amount of water has been getting in - I didn't find water on anything else and it certainly wasn't puddling at the bottom of that area. However, to keep it safe should I just sort of drape everything with some plastic lining?

Thanks again for your reply!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Good work.
I would recommend the water shedder, and with the pretty low price, and designed perfect fit for the space, I would order one from the dealer, or somewhere else online.

Part number: EOT500030

Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM
4wd Low

Thanks again for your reply. I definitely intend to purchase that part. I have read horror stories about entire units going out which I don't want to risk. The Bluetooth module going out is not the end of the world - we weren't using it and it sounds like that version has call quality issues anyway.

I am searching through several forums trying to find instructions on how to install the shedder but I am not really coming up with anything besides several people with the same question.

Is this a part you've installed? Do you happen to have any instructions? It sounds like it just installs on the top of the equipment frame and drapes over everything - does that sound right? How long did it take you to install?

Thanks again for all the info!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Pro Wrench

It relatively easy to install, need to remove a few bolts to get it behind everything, but not bad. I attached the bulletin, you don't need to remove everything, just get it out of the way to get the plastic back behind it all, make sure you get the top seal lined up right.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nav Inop - Water Leak.pdf (144.5 KB, 7170 views)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM
4wd Low

Help!!!
I hate to sound like a baby but I could break down and cry right now...

We had heavy rain today and guess what - more water got in and damaged more components. This time the Satellite Radio Receiver... I though, OK - must be the window - I need to come up with a solution for this and fast. So, I put plastic around EVERYTHING.

So, I go to close up the garage and happen to feel the roof of the inside of the truck... ITS SOAKED. The back half of the headliner is SOAKING WET all over. It has soaked the headliner and I can see that the water has been coming all the way down the pillars and into the back bins..........

I am devastated. I've had this truck a week and now it sounds like my headliner is ruined... already $600+ worth of electronics ruined. I have to figure out where this water is coming from.

The front half of the headliner isn't wet - it's dry. So, does that mean the sunroof is to blame? I have read a lot about clogged sunroof drains... could that be the cause?

I am going to take the day off work tomorrow and fix this. I have to fix this ASAP before the rest of the electronics and the interior of the truck are completely ruined.

I don't even know where to start at this point... the headliner is already sagging - likely ruined... I hate to sound like a baby but I am panicking right now...

Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 PM
3rd Gear

Dave,

What else on the MOST loop needs to be checked I dont have bluetooth in my 2005 D3

Old 06-13-2023, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by indiefantv
Thanks for your in-depth answer. You were right - the Bluetooth module was shot. It appears it was power cycling early on, thus the reason why the audio would go on and off. Once I took it apart to clean it and put it together is when it finally went out completely.

I was able to bypass the Bluetooth module (don't use it and don't really care to) by doing as you said - directing the light from the fibre cable into the other cable. As a "permanent" solution I went and got a very short length of the black plastic tubing for drip-based sprinklers. I inserted both of the fibre ends into the tube and it worked! Very happy with that. I was getting very nervous about spending thousands of dollars after reading others experiences having just paid quite a bit for the truck.

As far as the plastic is concerned it doesn't appear a large amount of water has been getting in - I didn't find water on anything else and it certainly wasn't puddling at the bottom of that area. However, to keep it safe should I just sort of drape everything with some plastic lining?

Thanks again for your reply!
Rickymac14
I have 2013 Range Rover sport supercharged. I just bought the Bluetooth communications module. Where is it located? It’s not behind either rear panel in trunk. If i could the the original module i could remove and plug in new one i just purchased.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your issue is that the MOST ring is down. The MOST is the fiber optic bus that controls everything audio. Most likely the bluetooth module is shot, but may be worth checking the connections, both electrical and fiber.

Last edited by severiano; 07-11-2023 at 12:26 PM.