General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

8 dtc's?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 dtc's?!

Hey guys im having another issue with my land rover. Idle has been fairly rough and on occasion a misfire while going uphill and also a fluctuating rpm every time while driving from 2000-2250 or 2750-3000 at other times
P0307 cyl 7 mis
P0155 O2 sens.
P0154 O2 sens.
P0133 O2 sens.
P1173 O2 sens.
P1540 ABS
P0134 O2 sens.
P0560 syst.volt.malf.
Do these codes lead to anything in particular?
Series 2 discovery 10k on rebuild

Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

What does this mean?
OBD Code P0560refers to
The battery supplies electricity to the ECM even when the ignition switch is OFF. This electricity allows the ECM to store data such as DTC history, freeze frame data, fuel trim values and other data. If the battery voltage falls below a minimum level, the ECM will conclude that there is a fault in the power supply circuit. The next time the engine starts, the ECM will turn on the MIL and a DTC will be set.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0560
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Slow engine start - Low battery power
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0560
- Loose or missing alternator drive belt - Faulty alternator - Battery defective - Open or short system voltage circuit The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The P0560 code is detected when there is an open in ECM back-up power source circuit
The others are O2 sensors, Looks like either they need replacing or if you have recently, clean the connectors and check for decayed insulation on wires, etc.
The codes are saying there is no activity from the sensors.
Overall, I would check the battery connections and clean with wire brush or battery cleaner brush. Check the alternator for loose fittings or belt slipping, clean all ground wires and check to make sure they are tight.
If you need new O2 sensors, Amazon has the best prices. Bosch 15175 upstream, Bosch 15630 downstream. The upstream O2 sensors are the important ones, as the downstream only tell the ECU if the Cats are working.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:43 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this explain the misfire and fluctuating rpm? It almost acts like its getting flooded with fuel and jerks a lot

Old 03-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Green_Oval
Would this explain the misfire and fluctuating rpm? It almost acts like its getting flooded with fuel and jerks a lot
You might just have a bad battery. Do you have a battery charger? It's unlikely that all of your O2 sensors would go bad at once. I just don't see how that could happen. As Joe said, the downstream ones just tell you that your catalytic converters are bad (unlikely that you have two bad ones at once). ABS codes at the same time? Ugh. What a swamp.

The 7 misfire would cause it to run rough and with a heavy stumble if it was all of the time and if the front O2 sensors are not working then you engine will run poorly but it wouldn't cause it to buck.

How does it start in the mornings?

Also, please pull your dipstick and smell the oil. Let us know if it smells strongly like gasoline. Finally, smell your exhaust... Does it smell strongly of gas? Don't smell it too long, please. I ask because I recently almost ruined or may have ruined (jury is still out) an engine with a bad injector that was stuck open.

Also I got that same battery code after I swapped engines. I just unplugged and re plugged the battery and it went away. The battery is bad, though. I have to charge it every morning. Thanks for the reminder... I need a new battery.

I just noticed you have a series 2. All of my advice may be wrong... I have a disco II.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-12-2016 at 06:05 PM.