General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Disc v8 over heating

Old 12-27-2005, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Disc v8 over heating

My discovery has been over heating with exaust gases serging up through the radaitor , the fluid loss has caused the overheating , I have replaced the head gaskets and had the heads machined .it was not obvious where the gaskets had blown, I know the ends are where the water vents are. it is all back together but it would appear that the problems exist still not as bad by the looks of it . I was wondering if i need to replace the head bolts as they apparently can stretch and soften , or i read somewhere about cylinder sleves. Is there something i am missing .

Old 12-31-2005, 07:48 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 95 Disc v8 over heating

Like most modern engines, stretch bolts are used. when you torque down used pre-stretched head bolts/studs, the actual load on the internal threads are much higher. In the case of your aluminum block, if you torqued these used bolts according to the manual/LR specs, the internal threads in the block are most likely damaged, thus making your initial problem even worse. Sorry for the bad news.

No matter what some people say, cylinder sleeves are rarely a problem. Totally possible, but highly unlikely.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the same problem existed before and after head gaskets and no obvious gasket blowouts, then for sure it is a liner problem. The head bolts should be replaced each time. Were the heads warped or machined for good practice ? What torque sequence did you use ?

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Nux on this one. Slipped liners are a common problem. Usually on engines that have been severely overheated. You can't even see the defect. It's a process of elimination diagnosis.

That reminds me, I was supposed to find out about a CO. that re-sleeves these blocks...

Old 01-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first thought would be the torque sequence and the used bolts, that will be an issue, I mean we are dealing with very little tolerance between the head - head gasket - block. second when you re-pull the head, check the iners, that IS a common problem on these engines once they get hot. How hot? well if you warped a head or both, that would be hot enough.