General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Disco Erratic RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Disco Erratic RPM's

The Green Machine was acting up on the way to work so I took a video while driving:

No loss of power and nothing else to indicate an issue until later on in the day
when I pulled into a space to park and the Disco stalled right after putting in park. Even later in the day after driving I parked the car and got a grinding sound when putting in Park, not sure what is going on?......

I have been having idle issues with my LR for a number of weeks so recently cleaned the throttle body, MAF, Idle Control Valve and plenum hoses. No real change since doing all of that other than the above. *On a related note both my rear O2 sensors are disconnected (previous owner cut them off?) although I have no check-engine or emission lights/codes.

Be interested to get some feedback, truck is otherwise running well, despite burning through fuel (even more than it should) - Fuel pump replaced, fuel filter to be replaced shortly.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Alternator is about to fail. It sends a stream of pulses to the tach from that small wire on back of alternator. When the brushes inside have worn down to barely touching, no signal and low or no charging.

If the wire is tight, and you shop for alternators... boneyard, local rebuilder, dismantler, mail order new, re-man at chain stores (get life time warranty, their rebuilds have a 50% failure rate it seems), or dealer (wallet vac).

Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If it is an alternator, once you resolve that issue, check the running voltage at idle with lights, a/c and everything else on, make sure it is between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.
I am a little concerned about the grinding noise when going into park.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The grinding sound was a new one, im guessing non-related to the alternator issue (assuming thats what it is). It only made that sound once before when the wife parked it at home after driving (cause?..), she started it back up and it sounded fine and yes, I let my wife drive the disco...she looks good all raised up on those mud tires...