General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 disco, lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 disco, lots of questions

new to the forum. SRS light solution? Trailer light on instrument panel lights then off, when i start, or use the turn signals, or flashers? sputtering at highway speeds? water in floor board, not coolant. think maybe a/c condensation drain, I don't know where it is located. Cruise control not working. Help with finding used part supplies. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Mudding
Default RE: 96 disco, lots of questions

In order (I hope):

SRS- You are SOL and have to go to the dealer to reset this one.

Trailer light issue- Normal.

Sputtering at highway speeds- What exactly do you mean--engine cutting out? Is the Tach working correctly? One item come to mind right away-fuel filter problem. It is located just in front of the right hand side rear wheel. Need a little more information.

Water on floorboard - Unplug the AC drain line. It is a little rubber nipple under the vehicle, right above the transmission.

Cruise Control - Could be a lot of things. I would replace all of the vacuum tubing as a first try. Look for the actuator attached to the throttle cable, and the "plunger" on the brake pedal. The third line runs to the vacuum pump in a little cubby under the jack in the front left corner of the vehicle engine compartment (Near the headlight). If this doesn't take care of it, let me know and we will start on the more difficult test and checks.

Parts-various parts sources on the top of this group (in the FAQ). I would also look on LRX.com

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, I hope this helps you out somewhat.
SRS light solution?
Here is a link for reseting the light yourself

Trailer light on instrument panel lights then off, when i start, or use the turn signals, or flashers?
Thats normal, when you pull a trailer and a bulb goes out this will not flash, its more of a reminder it should flash once each time you turn on signal

sputtering at highway speeds?
With this problem I would say some kind of fuel prob, could also be VSS

water in floor board, not coolant. think maybe a/c condensation drain, I don't know where it is located.
Prolly is a/c, check line for clog or plug

Cruise control not working.
Check vacume lines, listen for relay to "click" by passenger floorboard while you turn it on or off, 90% of the time it vacume lines cracked.

Help with finding used part supplies. Thanks.
See post above me, LOL! Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling

thanks for the help. i will give them a try. If i understand right, the srs light on the dash is a service indicator light? I agree the some times it is just lol. thanks again. rovin in wv. duboff.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling

i had the rover dealer tell me, their diagonistics could not find a specific problem. His only solution was to replace the main computer. It might help. the air bags should not be effected. I will give the other stuff a try and see what happens. thanks. duboff.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Mudding

The procedure outlined is for the emissions warning, not the SRS. My SRS lights up when my battery dies. I've had it happen twice in the last year and finally replaced the battery with an Optima. The dealer is the only one who can reset this one, as you need a Testbook. For the emissions warning I get a "check engine" light.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Mudding

For clarification, the SRS is the Supplementary Restraint System (Airbags). My guess is it lights up and flashes the "R" and the last "S". The number of flashes is the failure code. Did the dealer clear the faults logged? He should be able to. If the SRS light shows up again, you have a true fault.