General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'97 Disco 4.0L won't start after water crossing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:14 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Disco 4.0L won't start after water crossing

Today I took my '97 Disco (4.0L) through the local mud pit, The truck did pretty well all day,but after my last water crossing (only 1.5ft deep) I turned the truck off, and it wouldn't start again.

More detailed info, When i put the key in and turn on the on position Ican heara relay clicking (chattering) this continues even in the start position, and thestarter won't even spin for 5-6 seconds in the start position, after the time delay the starter turns themotor over but it won't start, if I turn the key back to the on position for a second and then back to start it will engauge the starter right away with no delay, but if I turn the key back past the on position then the 5-6 second delay kicks back in

I have reset the fuel pump cut off.

I unplugged the headlamp washer relay and plugged that into the (unknown) chattering relay to check to see if the relay was bad, but it did the same thing. The problematic relay is located beside the glove compartment and is yellow, and has2 thick (10-12awg) BROWN wires coming out of it

I took the relay cover off and held the armature down manually while starting the truck but that didn't seem to help.

I unplugged the relay and shorted out the 2 brown wires in the harness with a short chunk of wire to bypass the relay but that also didn't seem to help.

Now my truck is stuck in the bush, I'm going back up there tomorrow to try and get it started but I wantedto gather as many suggestions and tools as possible before I go back.

I welcome any suggestions

Old 04-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: '97 Disco 4.0L won't start after water crossing

Did you get the ECU wet? a foot or two of water won't normally cause this to happen.
Before you play in the water again, you need to start cleaning and water proofing every electrical connection under your hood so you do not rack up some really costly repairs.
Have you checked to see if your air filter got wet, if it did take it out and lay it in the sun for a day or so and wipe out your air box.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:16 AM
7th Gear

Today I got it fixed, when I got up there and tried to start it, same thing relay was just chattering away, and I prooved there was no fuel or spark, so that led me to the ecu, I checked all the connections, nice and dry. So as a last resort I took the ECU out and took it apart with a T20 Torq screwdriver that I lucky brought with me (will be keeping this on board for future trips) and there were a few drips of water inside across some traces, dried it out and it started right up

Now is it just me or does putting the ecu in the engine compartment seem like a bad idea? especially when it isn't a sealed unit!

Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Three Wheeling

You may be looking in the wrong direction. It sounds like a bad battery or a bad earth (ground) at the engine or the battery.

To test, try boosting the car with another. If the starter turns or improves..you have found the area to look for.

James

Old 05-11-2008, 11:20 PM
2nd Gear

i have 96 d1 and i got alot of water in my ecu .. and my relays started clicking and no spark or fuel ..and yeah it was my ecu ..i have no idea why land rover put the ecu under the hood ..i didnt know it was there until it happened ..wish i knew it was there or else i wouldnt have done what i had been doing