General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 rover disco 2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 rover disco 2 problems

hi, my name is michael i just recently purchased a 99discovery 2 and just the other day my abs, traction control, and off-road lights appeared on my dash? On top of that it started running hot. I ran a diao on it and it through 10 different codes![:@]Of course the check engine light was the O2 sensors (all of them banks 1 and 2 ). Any lucky guess or second opinions befor i drag it to the dealership for a new ripped one?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: 99 rover disco 2 problems

First of all stay away from the dealership. Go to a private shop that specializes in Land Rovers. Your ABS, TC, hill decent light is nick named "3 amigo's". Do a search of this site for more info on that. For part's http://www.roverparts.com/will save you a lot of money over dealership prices.

Willie

Old 12-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Three Wheeling

The three amigos- Got the same treo of dash light on my 00 D2 with 135K mi. As many do on the boards. I've had mine for atleast the last 50K miles. My very competent rover mechanic shrugged his shoulders and said if I wanted a Land Rover without warning lights I should have purchased a Toyota. I laughed, but that was 50K mmiles ago. The ABS works fine, TC does not as far as I can tell (but there is no good test for it, and i have no idea if it worked previously), and I have no use for the hill decent feature so don't care. My hunch is you could drive yours for many years and the 3 amigos won't present any other symptoms (or you could help out the local economy and trade it in on a new one, them supercharged roversports are NAUESH).

Got the same O2 sensor codes, both banks, after loosing some power. Before dropping $1K on new ones... turned out to be the mass airflow sensor totally fouled up by the K&N airfilter I was using. You can check it easily by following the big air intake pipe from the airfilter into the engine. The first doohickey you get to is the airflow sensor, and it can be easily inspected by removing the air hose going into it (the one that connects to the top of the air filter box). The codes went away after replacing it and power was restored. It can prolly be cleaned with alcohol too. Switched to paper filters and change/clean them often.

Running hot- After two radiators and a cracked head gasket, I have learned to keep a very close eye on the coolant level. Fill it early and often since the reservoir cap will dump the excess out harmlessly anyway. If it is using coolant, there's a leak somewhere, hopefully easy to find. My hose was rubbing up against the cooling fan and sprung a leak- easy to replace. The radiator is held in place with plastic connectors, one broke loose and the bottom cap of the radiator sprung a leak as a result of hitting the frame- more difficult to replace. After dealing with leaks, since the radiator is aluminum and may be fouled up inside you can try flushing it and add then a bottle of Water Wetter. After that, try replacing the thermostat. Also be in the habit of keeping the engine oil to the top (runs cooler). On a final note, D2s come with trailer hitches but they are underpowered vehicles, not good boat pullers. Don't use yours for pulling heavy stuff along way on hot summer days, atleast until you have cured the overtemp condition. I think that is what cracked the head gasket on mine.
________
MEDICAL CANNABIS

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Mike,
What are the exact fault codes, we need that to be able to help you.
Were they cleared, have any come back since.
As for the over heat and the ABS issues, I would suggest you quit driving it today and if you want, PM me so I can call you and go thru what you should be doing and checking.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:07 PM
5th Gear

Thank you so much for your input. It seems to me that you've pretty much describe the problems exactly as far as the cooling and O2 sensors go. I plan to look into the mass air sensor problem that you were talking about, i cleaned it probably a month ago. I know that it was running a little lean as well but thats probably because of the cold start. thanks again for you input.

Mike

Old 12-09-2008, 12:17 PM
5th Gear

Yeah i've only done the diao as of right now and i've stopped driving it to prevent a blown headgasket. I didn't clear the codes just for the simple reason that they would just come back, probably?. but as for the running lean that should be just the O2's and sparkplugs possibly. Also i spoke with a local dealership service tech about the troublecodes PO733 or PO734 which they explained to be the shifting of the 3rd and 4th gears? I've never heard of anything like that. Any ideas?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Well you just explained most of your problem, you can't clean a Bosch MAF, that will just kill then causing lean bank faults as well as a 734 or 733 tranny code.
Time to go buy a new MAF, consider calling Tony atr the LRRF at 650-365-4145, he has one of the better on-line prices.